Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos on Mac Imports Libeart

If I delete photos in the Imports Library folder, will it also delete them from albums I created under My Albums or IPhoto Events? I have moved the photos I want to keep into the appropriate folder.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 11:32 PM

Hi

Yes, it will. You don't create multiple copies of a photo when you put them in albums, or when they are added to the imports folder.

The folders/albums are just different views of the same image.

So if you delete them from imports, you will delete them completely from your photos library - including all other albums and folders.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 11:32 PM in response to NanaRoberta

Hi

Yes, it will. You don't create multiple copies of a photo when you put them in albums, or when they are added to the imports folder.

The folders/albums are just different views of the same image.

So if you delete them from imports, you will delete them completely from your photos library - including all other albums and folders.

Dec 22, 2020 2:03 AM in response to NanaRoberta

A bit of background information - you cannot weed out any of the albums, that have been automatically created, without deleting the photos everywhere, including your from your own albums. All automatically defined albums and views are created according to specific, fixed rules, applied to all photos in your library. So deleting a photo from these views requires to delete them from the library completely, as you cannot change the rules for the automatic albums. You can only remove photos from albums you create yourself. Treat the predefined albums and views as a basic structure, showing you the complete library according to different criteria, and built your own structure on top of this.

But why do you want to remove photos from imports? What are are you trying to do?

If you need an album, that is showing you which photos have not yet been added to an album, consider to use a smart album:

• File > New Smart album
  • Set the rule to "Album > is not > Any"
  • If you want to restrict the smart album to the recent imports, add a rule "Date Added is in the last ... Days" and combine the rules with "Match any".

Deleting photos on Mac Imports Libeart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.