Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best physical setup for the "immersive" Dolby Atmos sound using only two HomePods? I've already updated all the necessary iOS's

I'm wondering how I'm going to get the best/most immersive home theater sound with a two-HomePod setup. Specifically, I'm wondering:

1. Does it make sense to have one HomePod up by the television and one behind our seating, since there are currently no supported satellite speakers?
  2. I see after-market wall mounts for the HomePod but am wondering if these will adversely affect sound quality. Does HomePod's proximity to walls make much of a difference in performance? If so, what would be the ideal distance?
  3. We listen to a lot of music in addition to using this setup for home theater. I know HomePod minis don't support Dolby Atmos but, when not using the "system" for theater, will they still incorporate minis when playing music?

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 2:09 AM

1. No, the speakers should be arranged either side of the TV, at the same height as each other, in roughly the same plane as the display and equidistant from it.
  2. From Set up and use HomePod - Apple Support: Place HomePod on a solid surface with at least 15cm (6 inches) of space around it. Some wall mounts may work well, but my HomePods sit on existing furniture and sound great.
  3. Yes, you should still be able to AirPlay audio content to multiple speakers around your home.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 2:09 AM in response to Triple420

1. No, the speakers should be arranged either side of the TV, at the same height as each other, in roughly the same plane as the display and equidistant from it.
  2. From Set up and use HomePod - Apple Support: Place HomePod on a solid surface with at least 15cm (6 inches) of space around it. Some wall mounts may work well, but my HomePods sit on existing furniture and sound great.
  3. Yes, you should still be able to AirPlay audio content to multiple speakers around your home.

tt2

What is the best physical setup for the "immersive" Dolby Atmos sound using only two HomePods? I've already updated all the necessary iOS's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.