Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter Not Charging

I have a new MacBook Pro 13" M1 that is using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I am using this adapter to charge, use USB-A devices as well as connect to my monitor.

Often when disconnecting to work away from the desk, then returning the charging capability no longer works but all other devices (monitor and USB-A) devices continue to work. Additionally, connecting the USB-C power directly to the MacBook bypassing the AV Multiport Adapter will start the charging.

Rebooting to reset the SMC using the following support article will fix it until the next time I disconnect. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Looking for way to make this work consistently.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 9:34 PM

What I have seen with the Apple multi-port adaptor that has three ports -- USB-C, HDMI, and USB-A -- is that when all three are in use or when just the USB-C port is in use, either way, even when the Apple 61-watt charging power supply is connected the three-port adaptor's USB-C port, the Mac can receive at most 55 watts. When the 61-watt power supply is connected directly to the laptop (a 13-inch Macbook Pro), it receives 61 watts. This is what About This Mac System Profile shows.

If the other devices using the adaptor are drawing power, the laptop may even receive even less power, potentially less power than it needs to actually charge.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 9:34 PM in response to HWTech

What I have seen with the Apple multi-port adaptor that has three ports -- USB-C, HDMI, and USB-A -- is that when all three are in use or when just the USB-C port is in use, either way, even when the Apple 61-watt charging power supply is connected the three-port adaptor's USB-C port, the Mac can receive at most 55 watts. When the 61-watt power supply is connected directly to the laptop (a 13-inch Macbook Pro), it receives 61 watts. This is what About This Mac System Profile shows.

If the other devices using the adaptor are drawing power, the laptop may even receive even less power, potentially less power than it needs to actually charge.

Dec 23, 2020 11:59 AM in response to kyleapauljohnson

I've had charging issues using the multiport adapters even on the Intel Macs (sometimes they won't even allow the Intel laptop to power on if the battery is low). It seems that these adapters don't let the full power through even when no other devices are connected to the laptop. Try disconnecting the other external devices to see if the laptop will charge with the multiport adapter.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter Not Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.