Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiport adapter (ModelA2119) blocks display to external monitors

Hi! I have the USB-C to Digital AV multiport adapter (ModelA2119). My goal is to connect TWO older external monitors that have HDMI ports to my Macbook Pro which only has two USB-C ports. One of those ports will be my charging cable, so there's only one port left to communicate to these two monitors. I bought a cable from Amazon (HDMI to USB-C) cable. When I plug in this cable directly from one of the monitors to my MacBook Pro (Model A2159) it works and I can see my display on the external monitor. But when I introduce the multiport adapter it doesn't work. There's no display, the laptop doesn't seem to recognize the external monitor. I've tried restarting and sleeping the laptop. I've tried plugging in the HDMI to USB-C cable before and after plugging the multi adapter into the laptop. I've tried the "detect displays" button in system preferences. Nothing. Can someone please help! Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 4:01 PM

The USB-C on the Apple multiport adapter is for charging only. The way it works is you connect the AC adapter that came with your Mac to the USB-C port on the adapter along with an HDMI cable for an external display (and a USB-A device if you wish), and the Apple multiport adapter uses one port on your Mac.

You can then plug a second monitor with the USB-C to HDMI adapter you bought from Amazon into the remaining port on your Mac.

You have all the right pieces, you just need to put the puzzle together in the right way.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 4:01 PM in response to miablee

The USB-C on the Apple multiport adapter is for charging only. The way it works is you connect the AC adapter that came with your Mac to the USB-C port on the adapter along with an HDMI cable for an external display (and a USB-A device if you wish), and the Apple multiport adapter uses one port on your Mac.

You can then plug a second monitor with the USB-C to HDMI adapter you bought from Amazon into the remaining port on your Mac.

You have all the right pieces, you just need to put the puzzle together in the right way.

Multiport adapter (ModelA2119) blocks display to external monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.