Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie splitting-, fragment disappears.

Using a MacBook Pro m1 Big Sur; upon splitting a fragment in the iMovie timeline, the whole clip simply disappears. Does anyone else have this problem, solutions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 9:16 AM

Great! You got your answer.

iMovie uses the word "split" to mean to cut a clip into two or more separate fragments. iMovie uses the word "cut" to mean to remove the clip entirely, i.e, to make it disappear from the project timeline. You can put it back into the project timeline by doing Edit/Paste or Edit/Undo Cut.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 9:16 AM in response to cfromgroningen

Great! You got your answer.

iMovie uses the word "split" to mean to cut a clip into two or more separate fragments. iMovie uses the word "cut" to mean to remove the clip entirely, i.e, to make it disappear from the project timeline. You can put it back into the project timeline by doing Edit/Paste or Edit/Undo Cut.

-- Rich

Dec 23, 2020 8:19 AM in response to cfromgroningen

I've not seen any reports of a clip disappearing when doing a split. Possibly a corrupt preference is causing that. Try deleting preferences. It is a safe procedure that will not cause loss of data or disruption to your projects. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

-- Rich

Imovie splitting-, fragment disappears.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.