Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 - Not able to mount LaCie 5Big Thunderbolt storage

Hello all,

Since 1.5 weeks I am working with apple to solve my above issue. I am unable to mount the LaCie 5Big TB2 storage to my Mac mini M1. TB3 drives are find. It seems the Big Sur 11.1 does not allow that the required driver will be authorized. As we know from Catalina we need to check the Marvel and LaCie Ltd driver in the security options. When I start the latest LaCie LRM manager (v2.9) it says "Install Software" and there it stops.

The System Report is able to detect the TB2 drive, but the system is not able to mount.

Apple has in the meantime performed the system analysis and is looking into the files.

The question is, is anyone else experiencing this issue? If there are more problems, we can put this issue up in the priority list of bug fixes.

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 5:29 AM

42 replies

Dec 24, 2020 1:57 AM in response to NordicLightPhoto

Hello all,

I'm facing exactly the same issue with the same setup (MacMini M1 as well as LaCie 5Big TB2 with an Apple adapter to TB3).

I guess we have to wait for an update from LaCie/Seagate to get this fixed. Unfortunately, their support is quite a mess.. I've opened two tickets (Mid Nov and around 12/01) with no answer or even a response yet.

I'm glad for every help and support the internet can provide ;)

Stay healthy

Feb 15, 2021 7:51 AM in response to NordicLightPhoto

Writing this on Feb 15th - 2021. I have been in exactly the same situation since mid-Nov 2020 when I got my M1 (M1 MM, Big Sur 11.2; correct apple adapter for TB 2<-->3). I have opened multiple tickets with Lacie; I actually spoke to a level 1 support tech @Lacie about it who promised me a level II tech would call - and has not in 3 weeks and I've filed more tickets. So, I too, can confirm that LaCie's support is a mess and is totally un-responsive. The ONLY reason I'm getting by is that I have it attached to my MacPro and can access it via networking - but, of course a little slower.

jc

Apr 8, 2021 7:21 PM in response to motegi

April 8 - 2021. 5 few days ago I received a notice that LaCie had issued an update to the LaCie RAID manger that would work under Big Sur 11.2.3. Today, April 8th, I set aside the afternoon to download and install the RAID driver and physically move my 5BIG from my Intel Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) Thunderbolt-2 to my Mac Mini M1 (16GB ram/2TB storage). So this is LaCie Raid Manager 2.9.3.207. This time the install under Big Sur went fine - I had to approve the software's source with Privacy as expected and this time it went okay. The drive was recognized and I could read and write to it. However, it's performance is seriously impacted. On my Intel MacPro (TrashCan 6,1 Thunderbolt 2) I get at least, 400/400 MB/sec by any measure (transfer a really big video file and stopwatch it, Blackmagic, etc) - but on moving the drive to the M1 my speeds are roughly write 55MB/sec; read 270 MB/sec...there is some variability but this is the essence of it - not much better than a USB2 drive and on par with a FW 800.

So this is a serious problem. This drive, while readable, is useless for ay serious photographic/video work.

I spent some hours on the phone with tech support today and they do not have an answer for this. I swapped every TB2 cable and Apple adapter I have* - so it's not a cable or adapter issue. It's a driver issue - entangled with caches/buffers/optimization and all that.

*I have 3 Apple TB 2<-->3 dongles I have 2M and half-metre cables from different manufacturers - I counter-swapped, and all these work fine on the TrashCan - and when connected on the clearest/simplest path on the M1 Mac - much less performance.

Two questions

1. what numbers are you seeing*
  2. How do we mount a claim on this.

*the reason I am asking this is if your 5Big (whatever) is performing differently than mine - I have done 2 failed drive swaps over the years and although I have replaced with IronWolf, maybe I have introduced something incompatible or less optimized. Nonetheless, the LaCie Techs cannot discern this and the drive currently does do 400+/400+ on the Intel and 55/270 on the M1.

I do not relish dumping this drive system - but it is useless on the new future of Macs. The LaCie tech sort-of admitted to this but has no solution and so we must apply some pressure.

Nest Steps. BTW - I am sure this applies to 6Big and 12Big as well....so this is not a small community that has had their hardware back-watered very prematurely.

jc - April 8-2021

Apr 13, 2021 1:17 AM in response to Jimcamel

Good morning Jim,

I checked the LCRM version: It is the 207 version. So a type error. I was probable had too much yesterday of Apple after speaking 3 hours with them and not moving one step forward. Too many unknowledgeable people sitting there, who only can say....do a reinstall. Perhaps this works for a regular user, but not when you run a business.

I think that it is time that this issue need a much wider audience. Apple support is now - every time you log a case - finger pointing - It are the third party providers / partners who are the issue. I use MotionVFX plugins for my work. When FCPx does not run smoothly, Apple support says....it is MotionVFX's problem. On the other hand they say - Motion is one of the best apple products and people can build great templates and plugins with it. But they says, once you have build a plugin with this tool, and there are issues, the third party is the issue. This shows, that apple has severe issues with Big Sur! They are overwhelmed with the number of big issues they have.

LaCie recommends users of BIG12 towers NOT to install the new driver on ARM chips. Apparently it can cause crashes which can loose to los of data.

Apple removed all RAID vendors from their website, besides Promise and LaCie 2Big dock. For me it seems that apple is not willing to make this work. Why? Apple is dependent on the manufactures for hard drives and raid systems. If they don't make it work it will hit the "business use" of apple products.

I am not sure how best we reach a wider audience, but we need to start pushing the issues with the ARM chips. I don't understand why the press is not picking up on this. Perhaps we should use channels like iMore or 9to5macs to support the case??

I am willing to help!

Cheers,

• Hendrik

Feb 4, 2021 12:51 AM in response to NordicLightPhoto

Actually this is a LaCie issue that is dragging on longer than it should. Compare LaCie/Seagate’s and G-Technology/WD’s response to the problem vs Promise Technology’s response. Promise Technology has already release a downloadable fix by the end of Dec 2020. LaCie/Seagate can only add to their support page the follow notice. Not compatible!!! While G-Tech/WD is pretty much ignoring the problem until the general public figures a work around.

My take is that these companies didn’t work hard enough to get their systems aligned with Apple’s M1 and Big Sur.

Dec 26, 2020 1:19 AM in response to tarek285

Thanks for your reply. I got an answer from LaCie that they are working on it. However I do believe that this is an Apple issue as LaCie want to install the driver but Apple does not allow the authorization of the driver. So for me this is a missing API call.

What I find weird though is, is that Apple promotes the LaCie products, but does not test these before going live with a complete new architecture. I sincere hope that Apple will open up the kernel a bit more for third party apps.

Stay safe....

Dec 27, 2020 1:08 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I am not sure it is the drive. Under Catalina when you connect at the first time you need to install the driver and authorize "Marvel and LaCie ltd" in the Security settings. Under Big Sur / M1 - the driver still in "Intel" so Rosetta 2 needs to make an API call to the new architecture.

As Apple is promoting the LaCie products in their web-store, you may expect that they test connection before launching a new product.

Feb 15, 2021 10:44 AM in response to Jack_et_al

Jack_et_al wrote:
Compare LaCie/Seagate’s and G-Technology/WD’s response to the problem vs Promise Technology’s response.

Do you work for Promise Technology?

I ask because most of what you wrote is simply not factual and only opinion.

Version 15.8.108 of the NTFS Paragon Driver is officially supported on both Intel and Apple silicon (M1) based Macs.

I use several Seagate and G-Tech drives with my M1. They work perfectly fine once formatted correctly via the M1.

LaCie drives are a whole other matter. I will never waste my time buying another LaCie drive.

Feb 15, 2021 12:29 PM in response to MyApple8MyPC

I am a data scientist for a pharmaceutical company. It appears you maybe an outlier considering you are the ONLY one that is not having an issue with the RAID DAS solutions. Your experience is an outlier from what the general public has had. I am guessing you have not done your homework. Try going to the LaCie support page. The OFFICIAL statement is that Apple M1 IS NOT COMPATIBLE. You can not use the Thunderbolt 3 I/O. They are “working” on it. You can only use the USB-C I/O with the Apple M1 powered computers and it will run at a much slower speed. Their advertising states USB-C 10Gbps but when you dig into support page it is actually USB-C 5Gbps. Now try going to Promise Tech or Areca you will notice that those RIAD DAS solutions have fixes/solutions that mitigate the Apple M1/Big Sur issues.

Your statement of “I have use several Seagate and GTech drives...” is irrelevant considering the rest of the general public have had the same problem. We are not using regular drives. We are using high performance RAID DAS solutions. The driver you reference does not resolve the issue. Try using the Thunderbolt 3 I/O on the 6Big/12Big or GTech G-Speeds it will not mount on the M1 powered Macs running Big Sur.

FYI....LaCie does not make hard drives. Seagate owns LaCie and makes the hard drives. Try looking at the support page that you downloaded the driver you reference. Also WD owns G-Tech and makes the hard drives.

Feb 15, 2021 3:55 PM in response to Jack_et_al

Jack_et_al wrote:
Your statement of “I have use several Seagate and GTech drives...” is irrelevant considering the rest of the general public have had the same problem.

Not true. I work with hundreds of other people who have never reported any issues. How presumptuous of you to speak for the "rest of the general public". Your experience may be yours, but please don't speak for what I have personally observed. The OP owns a LaCie drive. I have already stated that I would never buy another LaCie drive.

Mac mini M1 - Not able to mount LaCie 5Big Thunderbolt storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.