Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update from macOs Sierra to Catalina

Hi all,

I have recently noticed that I have been running on a old software(Sierra). I tried to update to Catalina from the app store, but no Catalina software update was showing up for me, I'm wondering what the reasons could be, that no Catalina update is showing up for me, is it because I haven't updated my laptop in a couple of years?. My Macbook 2017 model . Would it be possible somehow that the update could show up on the app store . I would gladly appreciate if you guys have any suggestions on how I can solve this issue. Thanks

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 6:41 PM

The update you will find on the App Store now is Big Sur. I believe that your computer may be suitable for Big Sur. Here is a link that explains what you need for Big Sur, and it also has links for Catalina install (if you prefer Catalina over Big Sur, Big Sur is the latest version of the OS).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 6:41 PM in response to Uniquez107

The update you will find on the App Store now is Big Sur. I believe that your computer may be suitable for Big Sur. Here is a link that explains what you need for Big Sur, and it also has links for Catalina install (if you prefer Catalina over Big Sur, Big Sur is the latest version of the OS).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Dec 24, 2020 2:49 AM in response to Uniquez107

To follow in @steve626 good advise. Pay special attention to moving from Sierra to Catalina is big Upgrade step. Make sure there is a Time Machine Backup Before attempting the upgrade. If possible, have two external drives and make Bootable Clones of Sierra - insurance if the upgrade goes sideways.

Starting in Catalina and also in Big Sur, neither macOS supports any 32 bit applications. They only support 64 bit applications and extensions. To check for 32 bit installed app try this site ( external and safe )

Unable to update from macOs Sierra to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.