Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When and how long I need to charge my laptop?

Hi,

I am having a hard time finding the proper information on any document on apple.com. I am looking to understand what is the best way to increase the long term battery life. I have my new M1 MacBook Air since less than a month and the battery health feature already says that the original battery life is now down to 98%. Does Apple provides any guidance at all on when and for how long charge the laptops? We are in lockdown right now so I use the laptop only to move from one room to the other. Where can I read if Apple suggests to keep it always connected to the charger or something else?

I truly checked everywhere to find this answer, I understand that the new battery health feature tries to keep the laptop around 80% as much as it can and charge it at 100% when "it thinks I need", but right now since I don't go out I can change my needs and I have plenty of charges so if needed I can keep it under charge each time I move in a new room.

Many thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 5:24 AM

6 replies

Dec 24, 2020 5:39 AM in response to energie1

Man, that question is a can o' worms. It's all about how many battery cycles you go through. Batteries have a limited amount of charge cycles, then their performance suffers. Modern MacBooks use lithium batteries with an estimated 1000 battery

cycle life. If that's to believed, and there is no adverse effects of having the battery plugged in at all times, you may as well keep it plugged in.

To find the battery cycle count on your MacBook Pro:

• Hold the Option key and click the Apple  menu. Choose System Information

• Under the Hardware section of the System Information window, select Power. The current cycle count is listed under the Battery Information section.

If you think you might ever sell the Mac and get a newer model, then I highly highly suggest keeping it plugged in as much as is possible. That is so your battery cycle count stays low (people certainly look at that, for good reason).

Personally, I purchased another charger so I can keep it charged when I swap rooms etc.

Here's a good article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

Dec 24, 2020 6:14 AM in response to energie1

I get it. That's why I said "that question is a can o' worms" in my reply! There are many factors that can effect battery life. Environmental conditions, heat, charge cycles, voltage fluctuations in your power source, etc. That all said, abused MBPs may have batteries that last way beyond the 1000 charge cycle estimation, but a home-kept MBP battery may fail well before 1000 cycles.

Keep it plugged in. Use an Apple charger. Use a surge protector. If your an electronics snob, use a power conditioner!

I hope my reply was of some use to you.

peace

~( ):>

When and how long I need to charge my laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.