Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

While using Mac Mail, how do I make it so that when I delete an email on my Iphone, it will also delete on my MacBook Pro?

While using Mac Mail, how do I make it so that when I delete an email on my Iphone, it will also delete on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 4:55 PM

That depends on the type of email account. An account set up as IMAP will do exactly what you want. So will a Microsoft Exchange account. An account set up as POP3 will not. Most major email providers default to IMAP, or, if they are Microsoft Office 365 the default is MS Exchange. Examples of IMAP accounts include iCloud, gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL mail. Some cable TV accounts also support IMAP.

On your phone go to Settings/Mail/Accounts. Tap on an account name and it will say at the top what kind of account it is. If it says any of the account types above it is IMAP. If it isn’t one of those it will say IMAP or POP at the top.

If the account is also set up on your Mac it should just work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 4:55 PM in response to Seidmonsky

That depends on the type of email account. An account set up as IMAP will do exactly what you want. So will a Microsoft Exchange account. An account set up as POP3 will not. Most major email providers default to IMAP, or, if they are Microsoft Office 365 the default is MS Exchange. Examples of IMAP accounts include iCloud, gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL mail. Some cable TV accounts also support IMAP.

On your phone go to Settings/Mail/Accounts. Tap on an account name and it will say at the top what kind of account it is. If it says any of the account types above it is IMAP. If it isn’t one of those it will say IMAP or POP at the top.

If the account is also set up on your Mac it should just work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.