Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My update is stuck loading. What do I do?

I am trying to update my iMac with the Big Sur update, but the process is stuck in the loading phase for the last 6 hours. What do I do next?

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 9:00 PM

4 replies

Dec 25, 2020 7:56 AM in response to Stoormin

When you restarted did you hold down the power button for 15 seconds?

Also, have you attempted to reset the NVRAM and restart in Safe Mode?

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac & Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If all of these do not work, the next thing to do is to call AppleCare? AppleCare Contact Info

Finally, by chance do you have any third party antivirus, cleaning or any other maintenance apps installed?

Dec 25, 2020 4:45 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok. I turned it off and restarted by holding down the power button, but nothing has changed. It returns to the gray screen with the loading bar that doesn't progress any further. After about 2 minutes, it reboots itself and returns to that gray screen again and no progress with the loading bar. Is there a way I can get out of this endless cycle?

Dec 25, 2020 4:46 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok. I turned it off and restarted by holding down the power button, but nothing has changed. It returns to the gray screen with the loading bar that doesn't progress any further. After about 2 minutes, it reboots itself and returns to that gray screen again and no progress with the loading bar. Is there a way I can get out of this endless cycle?

My update is stuck loading. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.