Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Pictures App and the Photos Library separate items?

I just am trying to figure out where my photographs are stored. There is a "Pictures" app in my sidebar and 2 libraries in my storage:

iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary 1.92 GB

Photos Library.photoslibrary 1.56 GB

I am trying to figure this all out.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 6:34 AM

There is a "Pictures" app in my sidebar

No there isn't. There is no such thing as a Pictures App. What you have there is a shortcut to your Pictures Folder.

You once used iPhoto. Then you moved over to Photos. Therefore the iPhoto Library - the top one - is no longer necessary.

Usually, these Libraries are within the Pictures Folder.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 6:34 AM in response to Carol Stewart

There is a "Pictures" app in my sidebar

No there isn't. There is no such thing as a Pictures App. What you have there is a shortcut to your Pictures Folder.

You once used iPhoto. Then you moved over to Photos. Therefore the iPhoto Library - the top one - is no longer necessary.

Usually, these Libraries are within the Pictures Folder.

Are Pictures App and the Photos Library separate items?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.