Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot install GarageBand

I have a Mac running Catalina 10.15.7. Up until recently, I am sure that GarageBand was installed on my Mac. I never used it because I never had the right hardware, but I have just received come hardware for Christmas and when I went to open Garageband, I found it had disappeared.

When I go to the App Store and try to reinstall GarageBand, it says "GarageBand can’t be installed on “Macintosh SSD” because macOS version 11 or later is required."

So I tried to install macOS version 11 (i.e. Big Sur), and it says "The requested version of macOS is not available."

So I'm stuck!

Can I install an older version of GarageBand?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 9:17 AM

Have you tried to reinstall GarageBand from your Purchases History at the App Store?

Open the AppStore, then click your name in the lower left corner of the sidebar to see your previous purchases. Scroll through the list of purchases, until you are seeing GarageBand and click the download arrow to the right of GarageBand. It should offer you to download an older version.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 9:17 AM in response to JudasBlakemore

Have you tried to reinstall GarageBand from your Purchases History at the App Store?

Open the AppStore, then click your name in the lower left corner of the sidebar to see your previous purchases. Scroll through the list of purchases, until you are seeing GarageBand and click the download arrow to the right of GarageBand. It should offer you to download an older version.

I cannot install GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.