Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only the home owner can add this device but..

Just bought a HomePod mini. We are using an Apple TV 4K as a hub. I am the Home owner and I have added my wife’s Apple ID and have given her the “Add and Edit Accessories” permission.

When she goes to add the HomePod mini, she gets an error about only the Home owner can add this device. If I add the HomePod with my phone, the add process goes ok, but then it wants to customize it with my Apple ID settings.

ideally it should be her adding the device with her phone and the HomePod should be associated with her settings. Am I doing something wrong here or am I expecting too much?

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 8:51 AM

Just spotted this bit of small print on Share control of your home - Apple Support:

*Shared users can't add HomePod, Apple TV or any AirPlay 2-compatible smart TVs or speakers to the Home app. You can only add these devices if you're the owner of the home in the Home app.

Which confirms that what you're seeing is intentional.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 8:51 AM in response to Kylgarmor

Just spotted this bit of small print on Share control of your home - Apple Support:

*Shared users can't add HomePod, Apple TV or any AirPlay 2-compatible smart TVs or speakers to the Home app. You can only add these devices if you're the owner of the home in the Home app.

Which confirms that what you're seeing is intentional.

tt2

Only the home owner can add this device but..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.