Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages

1.) When I type a list and designate (i) this continues automatically in sequence i.e. (2) (3) on each line. How do I stop this?

2.) When I try to number existing written pages instead of each number remaining as typed it moves to the last number typed. How can I number such pages?

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 3:28 PM

1. Automatic list numbering considers every paragraph to be a new item on the list. Pressing return is a signal to Pages to start a new paragraph, as it does here.
  2. Second item in this list.

1. Two returns closes the list here. In Pages, you may have to change the paragraph style.
  2. On to the second question:

You are numbering the pages by typing a character in the Page Footer or Page Header.

These are 'running headers" or 'running footers,' sections of the page designed to display the same information in the same position on each page of the section of the document.

When you type a character (letter or numeral) into this box, Numbers treats it as text, and repeats that same character or set of characters on every page of the section.

To make the Page Number change for each page, you cannot type the page number into the box.

nstead, you must click in the box, then clck this little flag that pops up:

With this result (after setting alignment to centre) on Page 1

And this result on Page 6:

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 3:28 PM in response to Ujpest-Dozsa

1. Automatic list numbering considers every paragraph to be a new item on the list. Pressing return is a signal to Pages to start a new paragraph, as it does here.
  2. Second item in this list.

1. Two returns closes the list here. In Pages, you may have to change the paragraph style.
  2. On to the second question:

You are numbering the pages by typing a character in the Page Footer or Page Header.

These are 'running headers" or 'running footers,' sections of the page designed to display the same information in the same position on each page of the section of the document.

When you type a character (letter or numeral) into this box, Numbers treats it as text, and repeats that same character or set of characters on every page of the section.

To make the Page Number change for each page, you cannot type the page number into the box.

nstead, you must click in the box, then clck this little flag that pops up:

With this result (after setting alignment to centre) on Page 1

And this result on Page 6:

Regards,

Barry

Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.