Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

page numbering

Hello,

Most pages I have page numbers, but not all. When i go to insert a page number into the footer, it gives me the option but starting with page 8. How do i strip out the current numbers and start it all over again?

Thanks,

Bill

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 1:25 PM

The cover, index, and Epilogue need to be separate sections where you have disabled Match previous section in each Document panel > Section tab. No page numbering on these. Then the contents of the document that is not these separate sections can have normal page numbering.

8 replies

Mar 13, 2023 12:06 PM in response to realbillsfrealbillsf

I started over in a new document. Here's the thing: the cover, index and Epilogue are not to be numbered as pages. I tried to start a new section after them. Yet when i go to start new numbering, it only offers page 8 as a choice. The numbering should begin on page 8 of the document, starting with page 1.

Choices in the section dialogue box seem to be inactive or grey'd out.

What am i missing here?

page numbering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.