Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Apple abandoned custom ringtones?

New iphone 12 mini for Christmas. Driving me crazy. CANNOT create custom ringtones no matter what I do. iTunes doesn't recognize TONEs anymore. Every article detailing how to do this fails, and I've read every one of them.

Macs are supposed to be easy. My old Samsung Galaxy looks better and better to me.

Doesn't matter how blazing fast iPhone 12 is if it makes me sit for HOURS at the computer trying to figure out a way to make the simplest feature personalization.

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 3:00 PM

This is a user created tip from a User here on the ASC who is really an iTunes guru. See if it helps you in any way. Create and manage ringtones - Apple Community I have not made any ringtones in some time, so I cannot help any more than that. I have everything that I need right now.

5 replies

Dec 29, 2020 11:00 AM in response to cmw951

Hello cmw951,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you're unable to create custom ringtones on your Mac in order to sync them to your new iPhone 12 mini.

Custom ringtones are still supported as mentioned here:

Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

"Use a custom ringtone

If you created a custom ringtone in an app, like Garageband, you can sync it to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes for Windows or the Finder on a Mac.

1. Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer. 
  2. On a PC, open iTunes for Windows. On a Mac, open the Finder.
  3. Drag and drop the ringtone to your device."

If you have GarageBand on the Mac or iPhone, you could also try creating the ringtone in this app instead following the steps here:

Create a ringtone of your Logic Pro or GarageBand for Mac song - Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 29, 2020 2:51 PM in response to MichelleT18

Thank you for taking time to help, but none of that works.

I have an iMac - Mojave 10.14.6. Itunes 12.9.5.5 and a brand new iPhone 12 mini with the latest update and it WILL NOT accept drag and drop into TONES. Garageband no longer exports to itunes with ringtones. And the iMac won't show the phone in Finder.

This is something I could have done in 10 minutes on an Android phone. But it's no go with a mac.

The more they take away control, the less useful is the tool.

Has Apple abandoned custom ringtones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.