Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Transfer My iTunes Library To A New Computer?

Hello -

I recently bought a new laptop (Windows 10 PC) and am hoping to transfer my iTunes library from my old computer (also Windows 10 PC) to the new one.

I keep all of my music files in a folder on my desktop titled "Music" and those files have been dragged and dropped into iTunes on my old computer over the years. I've copied this folder to an external hard drive and then pasted it onto my new computer in a folder on my desktop that is also called "Music" - just like on the old computer. So the files have been transferred to the new computer, but I'm trying to avoid having to drag and drop the individual files into iTunes, because the files in the "Music" folder are in tons of different subfolders for different artists/albums/etc. I have everything meticulously organized and close to 20,000 individual songs.

Now that the files are on the new computer, in the same folder they were in on the old computer, I'm hoping there's a way to also transfer over my iTunes playlists and general iTunes organization that I spent hours setting up on the old computer. There's got to be a file on my old computer that serves as a link between my Music folder and iTunes itself - perhaps bringing this file onto my new computer will make my new iTunes behave just like my old iTunes? Or is this wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 3:25 PM

You'll make things easier in the long run if you stick to the overall iTunes folder containing media folder layout. What you do inside that folder is up to you. I generally recommend people let iTunes manage the folder because as far as iTunes is concerned the layout doesn't matter, so why bother micro managing it. Of course the thing about good advice is that we don't always take it ourselves. I use a custom version of a script I've written called ConsolidateByMoving that I used to move new and changed tracks into the precise location I want for them. I stick to the general <Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext> layout of iTunes, but allow for longer file and folder names, change The Artist and The Album into Artist, The and Album, The so things sort the way that I want them, and have certain genres go to their own folders.

Clearly you're not going to want to consolidate the library or rearrange files, so just take the first steps from my earlier post:

You should be able to manually create a Mangle Jones folder inside C:\Users and move the relevant folders (\Desktop\Music* and \Downloads) inside it so that they are in parallel locations to your original library. Leave the iTunes folder where it is in the active user profile folder. This should allow the iTunes library to reach the content at the expected paths.

*To be specific, create a Desktop folder inside the newly made Mangle Jones folder, then move the Music folder from your desktop into it. You can then press Ctrl+C to copy the Music folder, right-click on your actual desktop and use paste shortcut.

tt2

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 3:25 PM in response to mmish84

You'll make things easier in the long run if you stick to the overall iTunes folder containing media folder layout. What you do inside that folder is up to you. I generally recommend people let iTunes manage the folder because as far as iTunes is concerned the layout doesn't matter, so why bother micro managing it. Of course the thing about good advice is that we don't always take it ourselves. I use a custom version of a script I've written called ConsolidateByMoving that I used to move new and changed tracks into the precise location I want for them. I stick to the general <Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext> layout of iTunes, but allow for longer file and folder names, change The Artist and The Album into Artist, The and Album, The so things sort the way that I want them, and have certain genres go to their own folders.

Clearly you're not going to want to consolidate the library or rearrange files, so just take the first steps from my earlier post:

You should be able to manually create a Mangle Jones folder inside C:\Users and move the relevant folders (\Desktop\Music* and \Downloads) inside it so that they are in parallel locations to your original library. Leave the iTunes folder where it is in the active user profile folder. This should allow the iTunes library to reach the content at the expected paths.

*To be specific, create a Desktop folder inside the newly made Mangle Jones folder, then move the Music folder from your desktop into it. You can then press Ctrl+C to copy the Music folder, right-click on your actual desktop and use paste shortcut.

tt2

Dec 27, 2020 8:43 PM in response to turingtest2

Sorry for the imprecision - I have a folder on my laptop computer (both old a new) called "Music" - it's located on the desktop (the main screen with recycle bin and and other icon shortcuts). This is where all my music files are located and is about 90 GB large. As I've added more music to this folder, I've dragged and dropped those files onto the iTunes app in order to play them on my laptop (and add them to my iPhone).

The folder listed when I go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced is "C:\Users\mycomputername\Downloads"

But I can tell you that the downloads folder on my old laptop is basically empty. It has a few voice memos and is 135 MB large (all 135MB is voice memos). Here is a screenshot of the advanced tab as well as the downloads folder.

What would you suggest I do next?

Dec 27, 2020 7:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your response - I actually read the post you're directing me to, but I was confused about one thing.

In your post you say "If your library is not in this standard shape, perhaps because you've placed the media folder on a different drive, or have added media from various different locations without making copies in the media folder, then you either need to copy each of the components of the library to matching paths on the new computer" - I think this describes my situation.

I've copied the components of the library (which all come from one desktop folder labeled "music") to a matching path on the new computer (a folder labeled "music" on the desktop of the new computer), but I'm trying to figure out how to get the individual songs to populate into iTunes (and to be able to have my playlists, etc copy over as well).

Any advice there?

Thanks.

Dec 27, 2020 7:55 PM in response to mmish84

The core of your library is the iTunes Library.itl file, this holds the record of what has been added to the library, where to find it, what playlists you have and their contents, etc. If your current library is in the standard location of <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl then you should be able to copy it over to the same path on the new machine replacing any empty library you might already have there, otherwise having copied it to your selected destination you would shift-start-iTunes to choose it. Ideally you would copy the .itl and its supporting files and the Album Artwork folder as described in the user tip, but at a push everything gets rebuilt from the .itl if necessary.

tt2

Dec 27, 2020 8:16 PM in response to mmish84

You need to be a little more precise. Do you mean desktop computer, or the Desktop folder in your user profile? What do you see in iTunes for the media folder listed under Edit > Preferences > Advanced? The active library file is usually in the iTunes folder one level up from here but it could be elsewhere. The active library gets updated each time you open and close iTunes.

tt2

Dec 28, 2020 12:31 AM in response to mmish84

Have you used the same user name on both computers? Assuming you have copy the contents of the Downloads folder on the old machine into the Downloads folder of the new machine.

Where is your active iTunes Library.itl file? I would expect to find it at C:\Users\Mangle Jones\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl. Check file modification dates to make sure this file has been updated recently. Assuming that is the correct file then you also need to copy the iTunes folder from the old machine to the new one. Delete the iTunes folder on the new machine (with its empty library) rather than merging the two folders together.

When you run iTunes now you should find your content listed.

tt2

Dec 28, 2020 7:48 AM in response to turingtest2

OK this was super helpful. I copied over the contents of my "downloads" folder form old to new computer, and replaced the iTunes folder on the new computer with a copy from the old computer. So now when I open iTunes on my new computer I see all the songs/playlists/etc. The only problem is they don't play when I click on them - I get the error message "The song XXX could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

I'm assuming this is because of what you mention at the start of your last message. I currently do not have the same user name on both computers. Can you direct me to how I would change the user name on my new computer so it matches the username on the old?

Thanks for all your help. I think we're almost there.

Dec 28, 2020 10:08 AM in response to mmish84

You should be able to manually create a Mangle Jones folder inside C:\Users and move the relevant folders (\Desktop\Music and \Downloads) inside it so that they are in parallel locations to your original library. Leave the iTunes folder where it is in the active user profile folder. This should allow the iTunes library to reach the content at the expected paths. Assuming that works use Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Reset to change the media folder to C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media where <User> is your current profile folder. Say no if iTunes offers to copy files at this point, then go into File > Library > Organize Library... and tick Consolidate Files and the Rearrange Files option if available. Click OK. When the process is complete the Mangle Jones folder should be redundant and can be deleted. Your library should now be in a portable shape making it easier to back up and move around in future.

tt2

Dec 28, 2020 2:17 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm not sure if I understood the first part of you latest message. On my old computer, it has been very convenient to have the "Music" folder sitting right there on my desktop (the main screen) so I don't need to go hunting for it when I want to use it. With what you're suggesting above, is that no longer possible?

I guess that's what I was asking when I asked if I have to change the user name on my new computer to match the user name on the old computer (and how to do it)?

Dec 28, 2020 2:33 PM in response to mmish84

Ultimately as long as it works you can keep things wherever you want to, but my advice is to use the standard shape for the iTunes library, an iTunes folder with the library files, containing an iTunes Media folder that contains all the media. You can add a shortcut from the desktop the to the music folder if you wish. In most cases you let iTunes manage the media folder, and use it to play content, so there is no need to poke around inside.

Renaming an existing profile folder in Windows isn't a simple operation, and shouldn't really be necessary.

tt2

Dec 28, 2020 2:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Ok thank-you. I'd really like to have the music folder on the desktop, whether it be a shortcut or the regular folder. I'm constantly downloading music from other places (I almost never buy music from iTunes) so I find myself inside the folder quite often as I add new music and organize it the way I organize it.

So should the desktop folder be the shortcut, or should the folder in the C:\Users be the shortcut? Or does it not matter?

Typically I download music to the desktop and then add it to the music folder in the arrangement/organization that I have set up (I have close to 800 subfolders inside the main music folder - for different artists/genres/albums/etc).

How Do I Transfer My iTunes Library To A New Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.