Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing iTunes Media Location folder in Settings

I have a new Windows 11 PC. I used iTunes on my old PC (Win10) to manage my music and sync it with my iPhone.

I used OneDrive to copy my music files from the old computer to the new one. So there is now a copy of the entire iTunes folder on OneDrive

My old computer has a CD drive whereas the new PC does not so I will continue to move music from the old to the new.

I tried to change the iTunes Media Location folder in Settings I changed the location of the iTunes folder from C:\Users\Jim\Music\iTunes to C:\Users\Jim\OneDrive\Music\iTunes to make it easier to move music. (my plan is that CDs that I would import would go into the OneDrive iTunes folder and then sync automatically to my new computer).

Something has gone awry and I am unable to get the iTunes on the old computer to recognize the new media location in the OneDrive folder.

Also, on the new computer, I am having trouble getting the music that has synced over in OneDrive to import into iTunes.

I am thankful for any advice.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 12:35 PM

iTunes is not designed to play nicely with content in a OneDrive or other cloud sharing location. Recent builds of iTunes may also fail to register an alternate media folder location and revert to iTunes Media in the same folder as the .itl file. If both computers are on the same network you can create a shared folder so you can copy new and changed data over the local network. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community for a method I use to sync my library to an external drive. This works equally well across network shares.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 12:35 PM in response to FCA41

iTunes is not designed to play nicely with content in a OneDrive or other cloud sharing location. Recent builds of iTunes may also fail to register an alternate media folder location and revert to iTunes Media in the same folder as the .itl file. If both computers are on the same network you can create a shared folder so you can copy new and changed data over the local network. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community for a method I use to sync my library to an external drive. This works equally well across network shares.

tt2

Jan 20, 2023 1:03 PM in response to FCA41

You should be able to move the iTunes folder from the OneDrive location back to C:\Users\Jim\Music\iTunes, then hold down shift as you launch iTunes to reconnect to it. No need to uninstall or reinstall iTunes. Once there you can share the Music folder on the network so you can access it from the other computer as \\<MachineName>\Music.

tt2

Changing iTunes Media Location folder in Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.