Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About reinstalling OS X

I have an older (2010) 13 inch MacBook Pro running El Capitan.

Is it possible to COMPLETELY ERASE the hard drive and install a fresh copy of an OLDER OS X version? I want to install either Leopard or Snow Leopard, which would have run on the machine originally. I envision needing to start up from the install DVD. Seems like I used to do this. Is it possible? Any information or wisdom as to how to accomplish this is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 8:25 AM

2010 will only let you install Snow Leopard.

March 15, 2010 is the date which if released afterwards, you must find the original MacBook Pro released installer for 10.6, as the retail release won't work.

Use

http://checkcoverage.apple.com/ to determine which release you have using the serial number on the underside of the computer (note do NOT post that serial number on the forum).

The only releases to erase as you suggest are:

1. You have backed up your data, and compatibility with older operating systems is needed. Note, Parallels with Snow Leopard Server allows you gain Rosetta compatibility with PowerPC applications on El Capitan.
  2. The hard drive is getting too full to manage, and you have backed up your data to an external source.
  3. You can't isolate a potential malware with tools such as Malwarebytes and Avast and EasyFind, and have tried enlisting the help of an authorized tech to isolate them.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 8:25 AM in response to Tkusterb

2010 will only let you install Snow Leopard.

March 15, 2010 is the date which if released afterwards, you must find the original MacBook Pro released installer for 10.6, as the retail release won't work.

Use

http://checkcoverage.apple.com/ to determine which release you have using the serial number on the underside of the computer (note do NOT post that serial number on the forum).

The only releases to erase as you suggest are:

1. You have backed up your data, and compatibility with older operating systems is needed. Note, Parallels with Snow Leopard Server allows you gain Rosetta compatibility with PowerPC applications on El Capitan.
  2. The hard drive is getting too full to manage, and you have backed up your data to an external source.
  3. You can't isolate a potential malware with tools such as Malwarebytes and Avast and EasyFind, and have tried enlisting the help of an authorized tech to isolate them.

Dec 29, 2020 8:52 AM in response to a brody

Thank you for the information. The serial number under "coverage check" confirmed it as a Mid-2010 release, so that probably means after March 15 of that year. I do not have the original software install discs that came with the computer, only the purchased version of Snow Leopard. Any attempt to mount the install disc or start the computer up with the DVD is a no-go. I have some important work to do with the "old" "Universal" release of Final Cut Pro which is not recognized by El Capitan. So I guess I'm stuck with iMovie on my newer Mac. But thanks anyway for your help in finding this out!

About reinstalling OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.