Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone not showing in finder

my iphone Xs suddenly stopped showing in finder on my Imac.

Strangely enough the Iphone does show up in the USB port in hardware configuration and it does download photos to the photo app norma;;y.

I updated all the software, restarted and relaunched finder with no effect.

Finder syncs with ipad no problem so the port and cable are OK.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 6:37 AM

6 replies

Dec 30, 2020 11:48 AM in response to tomnow3

Hi tomnow3,

It seems you're having trouble with your iPhone being detected in Finder and we can help.

You have taken many great steps to solve and isolate this issue so far. It might be a good idea to reset your trusted computers as seen here:

About the 'Trust This Computer' alert on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If there's a trusted device conflict, this should force your devices to trust each other again.

"Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. Now when you connect to formerly trusted computers, the Trust alert will ask you whether you trust that computer."

Best of luck.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Dec 31, 2020 8:08 AM in response to CarlAVII

Thanks, I did also reset all network settings on the iphone and clicked trust computer but it didn't help... Is there some other permission I need to modify on the mac perhaps?

What I don't understand is how the iPhone shows up in the photo app and downloads photos correctly but it does not show in the finder ( which means I cant sync or backup).

I checked and rechecked the IOS devices box in the finder preferences multiple times also.

Did try all the other fixes suggested on the internet also. so am pretty stumped by now.

iphone not showing in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.