Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you disable desktops?

When I maximize a window, it creates a new desktop which is so very annoying especially when displaying non a screen.

I spend my days resigning windows manually, what a waste of time.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 8:41 AM

Use Zoom instead of Full Screen.

There isn't a Maximize function in macOS, but there is Zoom which toggles between a user set size and the smallest size that will contain all of the content. Since the smallest size to contain the content is usually the entire screen, then Zoom usually sets the window to the full screen size.

You can get to Zoom in the Window menu or by holding down the Option key when clicking the green dot.

You can also set Dock System preferences to allow double-clicking in the title bar of a window to invoke Zoom.

Finally, Full Screen causes the other monitor to go black because you have your monitors set up to expand across both instead of having each display act independently. You can adjust that in Mission Control System preferences. I would use Zoom regardless. I think Full Screen is the stupidest Apple design idea ever.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 8:41 AM in response to couq

Use Zoom instead of Full Screen.

There isn't a Maximize function in macOS, but there is Zoom which toggles between a user set size and the smallest size that will contain all of the content. Since the smallest size to contain the content is usually the entire screen, then Zoom usually sets the window to the full screen size.

You can get to Zoom in the Window menu or by holding down the Option key when clicking the green dot.

You can also set Dock System preferences to allow double-clicking in the title bar of a window to invoke Zoom.

Finally, Full Screen causes the other monitor to go black because you have your monitors set up to expand across both instead of having each display act independently. You can adjust that in Mission Control System preferences. I would use Zoom regardless. I think Full Screen is the stupidest Apple design idea ever.

Dec 29, 2020 3:06 AM in response to couq

Maximizing a window is doing exactly that. Maximizing it to the full size of your screen. Are you familiar with swiping between full-screen apps and Mission Control?

When you expand a window to full-screen, your desktop is untouched. Using two fingers on your MagicMouse, or three fingers on your trackpad, you swipe left or right to go see your desktop.

Or.. with two fingers on your Magic Mouse, double-tap your mouse to see your desktops, or swipe up on your trackpad to see the same thing.

For people not familiar with it, it takes a little bit of time to get used to it. However, once mastered it's a fantastic way to manage multiple desktops. I encourage you to use it more. It's one of the great features of MacOS that I've used for years.

Hope this helps.

That being said, to my knowledge there is no way to turn the maximize feature off.

Dec 29, 2020 6:18 AM in response to DeeperDiver

Thank you for your response.

This does not work when you have one or more external screens plugged in. I get a black screen and one maximized. I want to be able to maximize and still be able to navigate to the other screens using command + tab.

Also I am aware of those feature but I do not find them user friendly. It is not natural from me to have to use 2 different workflows to navigate between windows. I also struggle a lot with the command + tab not brining me to the correct window. You go somewhere with command + tab and to go back you need to swipe 3 fingers. I'd expect to use the same to go back and forth.

I miss the alt tab from windows so much :( :(.

How do you disable desktops?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.