Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my watch take dictation for a message?

My watch used to allow me to dictate a message, but suddenly that is grayed out. I'm assuming I did something wrong, but can't figure out what it was.

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 3:00 PM

Hello Pamela,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into an issue with dictation on your Apple Watch. First, have you tried restarting both your iPhone and Apple Watch? If not, it's a good place to start.

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

There are a few settings we'd recommend checking to make sure that everything is set up right. On your iPhone go to:

-Settings > Siri & Search - check that Siri settings are enabled.

-Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions - check that no restrictions are enabled that may interfere with your microphone or speech recognition.

-Settings > General > Keyboard - check that Enable Dictation is turned on.

-Apple Watch app > General > Enable Dictation

Let us know how it goes with the information provided. We look forward to getting your update.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 3:00 PM in response to Pamela Mullen2

Hello Pamela,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into an issue with dictation on your Apple Watch. First, have you tried restarting both your iPhone and Apple Watch? If not, it's a good place to start.

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

There are a few settings we'd recommend checking to make sure that everything is set up right. On your iPhone go to:

-Settings > Siri & Search - check that Siri settings are enabled.

-Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions - check that no restrictions are enabled that may interfere with your microphone or speech recognition.

-Settings > General > Keyboard - check that Enable Dictation is turned on.

-Apple Watch app > General > Enable Dictation

Let us know how it goes with the information provided. We look forward to getting your update.

Best regards.

Why won't my watch take dictation for a message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.