Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple tv 3rd generation appears to be in need of a restore. I tried plugging into my computer, but the device doesn't show up under location. And my newer computer doesn't have iTunes. How can I resolve?

My apple tv 3rd generation appears to be in need of a restore. I tried plugging into my computer, but the device doesn't show up under location. And my newer computer doesn't have iTunes. How can I resolve?

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 5:44 PM

Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

Read the details on powering the device at the right moment. You can’t restore the 3rd generation unpowered.

Read the details on the USB cable. The cable must support data transfer, which a charging cable from another device may or may not do.

Macs with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later do not have iTunes. For restoring on those computers, the Apple TV will appear as a device in the sidebar of a Finder window. When the Apple TV is selected there, then the Restore option will show in the main window.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 5:44 PM in response to AZshirlgirl

Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

Read the details on powering the device at the right moment. You can’t restore the 3rd generation unpowered.

Read the details on the USB cable. The cable must support data transfer, which a charging cable from another device may or may not do.

Macs with macOS Catalina 10.15 or later do not have iTunes. For restoring on those computers, the Apple TV will appear as a device in the sidebar of a Finder window. When the Apple TV is selected there, then the Restore option will show in the main window.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.