Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch stuck after interrupted update. What can I do?

Apple watch was connected to its charger and iphone was connected to its charger. Started Apple Watch update and it was taking so long at "installing" status - over an hour - that I disconnected the apple watch from the charger to look at its status. The iPhone immediately showed a pop-up message "could not connect to apple watch..."

Now the watch won't respond and has a blank screen. I looked at tech help and tried the power off option but never got the power off slider to show up. So I did the hard reset of holding both crown and side button down until apple logo showed up and then released both buttons. This has not made the watch responsive.

The iphone gives no information about the software update so I'm not sure which one it is. It just gives me that same pop-up message about not being connected to the watch.

HELP!!

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 6:04 AM

I figured it out. The side button was STUCK. I had to use my fingernail and warm running water to clean out debris wedged into the side of the button. It apparently was stuck in the "pressed" position which rendered all button attempts futile.

After fixing the button, the watch update completed on its own.

I had already unpaired it on the phone side, so I had to finish that process on the watch side - erased all data. Then I was able to re-pair it and restore it from backup.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2020 6:04 AM in response to javaliga

I figured it out. The side button was STUCK. I had to use my fingernail and warm running water to clean out debris wedged into the side of the button. It apparently was stuck in the "pressed" position which rendered all button attempts futile.

After fixing the button, the watch update completed on its own.

I had already unpaired it on the phone side, so I had to finish that process on the watch side - erased all data. Then I was able to re-pair it and restore it from backup.

Dec 29, 2020 5:58 PM in response to JMBoof

See the reply to:

Can't update Apple Watch without first up… - Apple Community

Press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for about 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. Wait a few seconds, then hold down just the side button for about 20 seconds until the “erase all settings” prompt shows up on the screen, then tap on it, then tap on the green check button.

Apple Watch stuck after interrupted update. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.