Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limited 5G access after iOS 14.3 install on iPhone 12

I received my new iPhone 12 mini 2 weeks before Christmas and was immediately impressed by the 5G data speed. In some areas of south-east London I was getting as much as 420Mbps. Inside my home, where my service provider (EE) promised that I would only get "good" 5G reception rather than "excellent", I was getting 100+Mbps vs the 30Mbps I was getting on 4G with the same phone.

So you can imagine how pleased I was with my latest iPhone.

That was until I installed iOS 14.3.

Now my iPhone refuses to latch on to 5G in the areas, including inside my home, where it was immediately connecting before the iOS 14.3 update. Now it latches on to 4G only at 4G speeds.

I have experimented by going to a variety of areas in SE London that I knew were 5G friendly and occasionally the iPhone would latch on to 5G, so I know that the physical device works.

My service provider has reset the network configuration, I have reset network settings, force restarted the device and I have toggled the 5G ON and 5G Auto options in Mobile Data Options (voice and data).

The operator confirms that there isn't any problem with their 5G masts that service my postcode.

The only thing I have changed is the iOS update.

I suspect that the update has told the device to latch on to the strongest signal rather than the fastest even when you set the 5G ON toggle and therefore this is an undocumented feature, i.e. a bug

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a fix?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 4:49 AM

After further research I'm pleased to say this problem is fixed and it had nothing to do with the iOS 14.3 update or my iPhone 12.

Documented below:

I had several hours discussing the problem with Apple support (who were great) and my network operator, EE (not so great). Whilst Apple investigated, EE told me categorically that there wasn't a problem with their 5G network at my location. I reported a potential network glitch twice via EE's online reporting page and spoke to four EE customer service representatives at some length. On all occasions I was told there was no problem. All of these representatives were polite and friendly apart from one who proceeded to lecture me about how 5G worked, implying that I was both lying about my earlier network performance and that I didn't know what I was talking about. He even went as far as telling me that he had been working in the telecommunications industry for over 20 years even though I hadn't requested his resume. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the same rep told me that there was no point because they would say the same as him. At this point I was like WTF, OMG, take your **** contract back.

Calling the next day to speak to a manager at EE who did call me back, explained that he would look into the problem personally and gave me his direct contact details.

The following day I obtained an additional phone (Motorola Moto G 5G Plus - surprisingly good for the money btw) and then conducted a series of tests on both phones using the same EE 5G-enabled SIM.

Lo and behold both phones behaved identically, refusing to latch on to 5G in my location that had previously worked flawlessly but both latching to 5G when it was available. There were no network performance/speed differences between the phones thus proving that the iPhone 12 wasn't responsible.

I took timed and location-based screenshots from both phones and then sent them to the aforementioned manager whom I didn't hear back from until, as if by magic, 5G service at my location was resumed 8 hours later. I thanked the manager but EE provided no information (or apology) for my network outage, presumably caused by a blind spot that happened to appear at my location. So perhaps they switched it on and off again or something!

I'm pleased to have my service back but resent that it took me many hours speaking to various tech support reps as well has having to conduct my own tests with 2 different phones just to prove there was a problem. Why are network companies like this?

The moral of this story is to keep going until you get the network service you're paying for and don't take the word of frontline customer service representatives who will gaslight you.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 4:49 AM in response to Graham Brown-Martin

After further research I'm pleased to say this problem is fixed and it had nothing to do with the iOS 14.3 update or my iPhone 12.

Documented below:

I had several hours discussing the problem with Apple support (who were great) and my network operator, EE (not so great). Whilst Apple investigated, EE told me categorically that there wasn't a problem with their 5G network at my location. I reported a potential network glitch twice via EE's online reporting page and spoke to four EE customer service representatives at some length. On all occasions I was told there was no problem. All of these representatives were polite and friendly apart from one who proceeded to lecture me about how 5G worked, implying that I was both lying about my earlier network performance and that I didn't know what I was talking about. He even went as far as telling me that he had been working in the telecommunications industry for over 20 years even though I hadn't requested his resume. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the same rep told me that there was no point because they would say the same as him. At this point I was like WTF, OMG, take your **** contract back.

Calling the next day to speak to a manager at EE who did call me back, explained that he would look into the problem personally and gave me his direct contact details.

The following day I obtained an additional phone (Motorola Moto G 5G Plus - surprisingly good for the money btw) and then conducted a series of tests on both phones using the same EE 5G-enabled SIM.

Lo and behold both phones behaved identically, refusing to latch on to 5G in my location that had previously worked flawlessly but both latching to 5G when it was available. There were no network performance/speed differences between the phones thus proving that the iPhone 12 wasn't responsible.

I took timed and location-based screenshots from both phones and then sent them to the aforementioned manager whom I didn't hear back from until, as if by magic, 5G service at my location was resumed 8 hours later. I thanked the manager but EE provided no information (or apology) for my network outage, presumably caused by a blind spot that happened to appear at my location. So perhaps they switched it on and off again or something!

I'm pleased to have my service back but resent that it took me many hours speaking to various tech support reps as well has having to conduct my own tests with 2 different phones just to prove there was a problem. Why are network companies like this?

The moral of this story is to keep going until you get the network service you're paying for and don't take the word of frontline customer service representatives who will gaslight you.

Jan 1, 2021 3:06 PM in response to Graham Brown-Martin

Hey Graham,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues connecting to 5G in multiple locations where 5G is available.

You've tried some great troubleshooting steps so far. It sounds like your Voice & Data settings may be set to 5G Auto. With this setting, your iPhone will automatically connect to LTE to save battery life if 5G speeds don't provide a better connection. Check out Use 5G with your iPhone for further information about these settings and how to change them.

If you change this setting and are still unable to connect to 5G, check for a carrier update bundle from Settings > General > About. Then, restart your iPhone.

If you use a VPN, try disabling that to test the results as well. We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Jan 1, 2021 4:14 PM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Unfortunately toggling the 5G Auto & 5G On settings were among the first things i tried.

My network operator also reset my carrier settings as here with EE it is set by them over the air rather than users manually installing an update.

None of this has any effect and 5G On being ignored when the 4G signal is stronger.

As my post indicates the phone is working in so far as when I move into an location where the 5G signal is stronger the phone correctly latches to it.

Everything had been working with 5G properly prior to the iOS 14.3 update.

This is suggesting that there is a potential “undocumented feature” in the latest iOS 14.3 update on the iPhone 12 mini where, in order to save battery, it latches to the strongest signal rather than the fastest.

As you point out, the 5G On setting should fix that, however, it doesn’t.

This problem is currently being escalated by Apple after I’ve spent more than 5 hours with different members of their support team.

My network operator is now co-operating and I will be trying a new 5G SIM from the same operator but with a different number on the same phone in the coming week.

I will also be trying an alternative 5G phone with both SIMs in the same location to eliminate or identify any network issues.

At this point it’s either the 14.3 update or the network with the former being increasingly likely particularly as there have now been various reports of 5G dropping since the update. See:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/03/iphone-12-issue-cellular-coverage-dropping/

I can also roll back the update by reinstalling the iOS 14.2 IPSW package which I may try after testing with the above.

I will, of course, post any developments.

Thanks again!

Limited 5G access after iOS 14.3 install on iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.