Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

static on Cinema Display with new 2018 Mac mini at Catalina startup

I'm using a 23" Cinema display with my 2018 macmini, connecting it with a dvi-hdmi cable. At startup, the monitor shows static. If I power off the monitor and then back on, the expected startup screen displays for a second, but then returns to static. My only workaround is to unplug the hdmi cable (keeping the computer still powered on) and then plugging it back in, which bring the monitor to normal display.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thank you!

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 9:10 AM

Hi James,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you connect your Cinema Display with your Mac mini using an HDMI cable, you get static on the display, do we have that right? Does this happen with an other cable? Since noticing this has the SMC and NVRAM been reset?

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 9:10 AM in response to James Dunn

Hi James,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you connect your Cinema Display with your Mac mini using an HDMI cable, you get static on the display, do we have that right? Does this happen with an other cable? Since noticing this has the SMC and NVRAM been reset?

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Hope that helps!

static on Cinema Display with new 2018 Mac mini at Catalina startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.