Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Old Mac Book Pro (13"-inch 2010) freezes during Installation

Hello there,

Can anyone be of help Please as my Mac Book Pro freezes during the Upgrade to MacOS High Sierra and it cannot even Reinstall the Original MacOS installation DVD neither enable an option to erase the Hard Disk..

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:16 PM

HWTech, many thanks for your eventful reply, i appreciate your Expertise.

I have two original Mac Book Pro DVD's which are the "13-inch MacBook Pro -Mac OS X install DVD and the Application Mac OS X DVD.. The 13-inch MacBook Pro OS X install DVD with Snow Leopard refuse to re-install on the machine, so i guess you are talking about the Application DVD in this case here..

Will you kindly help me in the process of how to go about finding the Apple Hardware Test on that very Disc as the Laptop only boots by holding the Command (⌘)-C or the Command (⌘)-R Tabs?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 12:16 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech, many thanks for your eventful reply, i appreciate your Expertise.

I have two original Mac Book Pro DVD's which are the "13-inch MacBook Pro -Mac OS X install DVD and the Application Mac OS X DVD.. The 13-inch MacBook Pro OS X install DVD with Snow Leopard refuse to re-install on the machine, so i guess you are talking about the Application DVD in this case here..

Will you kindly help me in the process of how to go about finding the Apple Hardware Test on that very Disc as the Laptop only boots by holding the Command (⌘)-C or the Command (⌘)-R Tabs?

Dec 31, 2020 6:01 PM in response to Youngandhopeful

Most likely you have a failing hard drive. Try running the Apple Diagnostics. If you cannot run the Apple Diagnostics, then run the Apple Hardware Test which can be found on the second disc of the original DVDs that shipped with your laptop.

The next most common failure would be a memory issue with incompatible third party memory, or a bad memory module or a bad memory slot (the one nearest the bottom case is most likely as the solder joints become cracked).

If the diagnostics don't find a problem, then you can test the health of the hard drive by using a Linux boot disk. I can provide instructions if you want.

Jan 2, 2021 12:17 PM in response to Youngandhopeful

Youngandhopeful wrote:

I booted with Both the MacOS install DVD as well as the Applications DVD and then came up till to the Disk Utility in order to be able to "Erase" the Hard Drive for Re-installation but the Button was grey(deactivated), so i hardly got anything done..

If you are booting macOS 10.6 DVD installer, then you need to "partition" the drive in order to properly erase it. See this article for instructions:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

While the Apple Hardware Test should be on the original DVDs which shipped with your laptop (the DVD should contain information on how to access the AHT) you may be able to create a bootable USB version from the information on this page:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

I can also provide instructions for creating a bootable Linux USB drive which will be able to check the health of the laptop's hard drive since the AHT doesn't detect many types of drive failures. Just let me know if you are interested.

You can also test the memory by using a bootable Memtest86 USB drive. Use the downloaded .img file as a source for Etcher to create the bootable Memtest86 USB drive. Option Boot the USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI".

Jan 1, 2021 5:53 PM in response to Youngandhopeful

You need to hold down the "C" key to boot from the DVD. Do this with the "Application" DVD of the set which should include the Apple Hardware Test. I believe there should be a document or ReadMe file of some sort on the DVD with instructions or a reference to the AHT.

In theory your laptop should be able to boot the online diagnostics by holding down the "D" key or the "Option + D" keys if macOS 10.13 was installed at some point.

Jan 2, 2021 9:18 AM in response to HWTech

Hear this HWTech; I have tried almost all Commands (⌘) available to boot the Machine and succeeded except of the "D"Key or the "Option +D" Keys has not materialized..

I booted with Both the MacOS install DVD as well as the Applications DVD and then came up till to the Disk Utility in order to be able to "Erase" the Hard Drive for Re-installation but the Button was grey(deactivated), so i hardly got anything done..

Apple is no more servicing the Mac Book Pro 13-ich Mid 2010 instead they could only Recycle it and offered to give me only €15 euros for the Power Cable, they said..

I guess they are totally done with this Appliance however Thank you sooo very much for your Advice and keep well..

Jan 3, 2021 3:53 AM in response to HWTech

I really appreciate your help Mate however the only available drive or volume on the Left side on Disk Utility is an image.

if i click on it, am offered an Active "Partition" and "Burn" Button option which in turn won't allow me to make a copy neither create another Partition..

I have given up the hassle and will go to Apple Shop tomorrow to recycle the Machine for good.

I'll have to make a choice either continue using Apple or switch over to another Brand with less Complications..

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you very very much for your tireless efforts..

Jan 3, 2021 1:12 PM in response to Youngandhopeful

It sounds like the hard drive has likely failed if you don't see the physical drive on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If the drive has failed, then you could replace it with an SSD which would also improve the performance of the laptop. Only you can decide if it is worth spending money on an SSD for a laptop of this age. This laptop can only run up to macOS 10.13 which is no longer receiving security updates from Apple. I would only recommend either the Crucial MX500 SSD (stay away from the BX500 series) or an OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD since not all SSDs are compatible with older computers.

My Old Mac Book Pro (13"-inch 2010) freezes during Installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.