Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing RAW images results in blank white grey thumbnails

I am using Photos 6.0 on MacOS Big Sur 11.1 on a MacBook Pro mid 2015 and have imported RAW images from my Canon 6D.

Whenever I edit a Raw image, it turns the thumbnail white and I can't seem to get them to restore to image thumbnails.

I am currently repairing the library but given it contains all of my images (several thousand) it is taking a while and I don't fancy doing that every time I encounter this issue.

The library is stored on an external SSD storage drive.

Is this normal and will there be a fix?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 2:54 PM

OK - a little playing and it seems that so long as you do Auto-Enhance from the Thumbnail album screen fixes the issue.

Note to self - if you are going to edit a raw image then you need to click on Auto Enhance before you make any adjustments!

Seems odd and counter intuitive but it seems to work.

I will still try the disk format but fixed for now!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 2:54 PM in response to TonyCollinet

OK - a little playing and it seems that so long as you do Auto-Enhance from the Thumbnail album screen fixes the issue.

Note to self - if you are going to edit a raw image then you need to click on Auto Enhance before you make any adjustments!

Seems odd and counter intuitive but it seems to work.

I will still try the disk format but fixed for now!

Dec 31, 2020 9:58 AM in response to GlennJF74

This seems to be a bug I am experiencing also, though I am on Catalina, not Big Sur - If it is the same problem I am seeing, not fixed in Big Sur, reverting edits to original will bring the image back to normal - after which you can edit again without problems.

The workaround I use is:

Import the raw files

Select them all (in all photos view)

CMD-E (auto enhance)

Image menu>Revert to original (while they are all still selected)

From then on they all work fine.

If you can find time, please report the bug at the link below. The more who do, the better the chance that Apple will fix it.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Dec 31, 2020 9:11 AM in response to GlennJF74

MacOS 11.1 is supporting the RAW format of your camera.

Could there be a problem with the external SSD drive? To be compatible with Photos, the external drive should be locally mounted (connected by a USB or thunderbolt cable) and not have been used for Time Machine backups. The file system format should be APFS or MacOS Extended (Journaled).

if a thumbnail is white, try to revert the edited photo to the original and start over with editing it. The recent system update may have changed the RAW support, so the RAW files will need reprocessing the RAW.

Jan 1, 2021 5:34 AM in response to GlennJF74

Hi, I have the same on the MacBook Air (M1, 2020), macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69).

Photos were imported from the Sony ILCE-5000 camera via USB cable, through the GreenCell USB-C hub, straight from the camera.

Photos library is stored on the external Samsung T7 1TB SSD drive connected via USB-C cable.

To fix the "blank" photos I had to mark all of them, hit "Revert to original" (from the context menu) and then, open these photos, one by one, and click "auto enhance".

Really annoying.

What's the bug reporting procedure in Apple? It could be great to report it and ask for a quick patch.

Happy New Year by the way!

Jan 4, 2021 2:50 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie - I have now transferred the library to a newly formatted external SSD - formatted with APFS - and I am still experiencing the same issue. The change in Formatting. I still have the problem - unless I use the work around to auto enhance before making any changes (and revert back if I don't like the auto enhancements!). Sorry - it is still a bug - and I have submitted a request to have this resolved as noted by Tony below.

Editing RAW images results in blank white grey thumbnails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.