Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new iPhone 12 Pro Max and when I started deleting text messages off my previous phone the deletions also occur on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. How can I delete the text messages from my previous phone and preserve them on my new phone?

I have a new iPhone 12 Pro Max and when I went to delete my text messages off my old iPhone X it also deleted them from my new phone. I want to recover the deleted messages and I want to clean out the text messages from my old phone. How can I do these two things?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:08 PM

It sounds like you have elected to house your messages in iCloud. Otherwise, deleting the messages from one device would not affect other devices.

Once you delete iCloud messages, they are gone forever.

How to delete messages in iCloud - Apple Support

6 replies

Dec 31, 2020 1:05 PM in response to LonghornGirl

You have setup iCloud for Messages on both iPhones. This is fine if you wanted to keep both iPhones in synch. You want your old iPhone to be independent from Messages in your new iPhone. To do this, get your old iPhone and open Settings ➔ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Messages : Ensure that this is set to OFF.

Once you do the above then your old iPhone will be out of synch with your new iPhone in relation to the Messages app.

Axel F.

Dec 31, 2020 1:06 PM in response to LonghornGirl

go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and check the switch position for Messages

with the behavior you are seeing, this switch must be turned on.. you cannot recover your deleted messages.

you could recover messages if you have a backup that contains them.. but because that switch is turned on, Messages are not contained in an iPhone backup. And I doubt you turned off the switch, performed a backup and then turned it back on.

So probably not the answer you want, but your Messages are gone.

Now.. on to the old phone. What do you want to do with it? Are you going to keep it or sell it/give it away?

I have a new iPhone 12 Pro Max and when I started deleting text messages off my previous phone the deletions also occur on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. How can I delete the text messages from my previous phone and preserve them on my new phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.