Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a message stating “You do not have permission to open [application]” on my new MacBook Pro

I just bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch M1 notebook yesterday (12/31/20). After I got everything set up and installed, I tried opening a game that I downloaded from Steam. Upon trying to open it, I get an error message saying that I do not have permission to open the application.

I am the ONLY user, and my username has admin capabilities. Why am I getting this error, and how do I fix it?

MacBook pro 13 inch M1 (2020)

Mac OS Big Sur 11.1

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 5:02 PM

Thanks. I do not have RescueTime as an option in the list. I do, however, have Steam in there and it is checked, but I still get the permission error.

I also selected “Get Info” on the app itself and made sure that the permissions were set to Read & Write.

Could this be a Big Sur issue? My previous MacBook ran Catalina, and I never had any permission issues.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 5:02 PM in response to madforit73

Thanks. I do not have RescueTime as an option in the list. I do, however, have Steam in there and it is checked, but I still get the permission error.

I also selected “Get Info” on the app itself and made sure that the permissions were set to Read & Write.

Could this be a Big Sur issue? My previous MacBook ran Catalina, and I never had any permission issues.

Getting a message stating “You do not have permission to open [application]” on my new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.