Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os application open denied

Lately, three of my apps do not open, I receive a message telling me I am not authorized because of permissions and then they open after I click a second time.

I am sole user and administrator with all permissions granted to me.

This has been going on with the same three apps on three Macs. Same behaviour all around.

The apps are Scrivener, Scapple and Omni Outliner.

My other apps are all happy.

All apps are up to date as is Mac OS.

Why am I getting a denial based on permissions and then authorized moments later?

Why just these three and when they happen to feel like it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 11:49 AM

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 11:49 AM in response to JPSpins

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 26, 2021 9:09 AM in response to JPSpins

Log into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac run all three apps for a while and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

If the problem goes away in the other user account it means there's something in your account that's the culprit. If that's case download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Feb 19, 2021 5:24 AM in response to dialabrain

I have and they (Scrivener/Scapple) suggested contacting Apple directly.

Before doing that, I am hoping someone will have experienced this. Why do the same three apps behave erratically on three computers? All the permissions are OK, I get the permissions denied message and they change their mind!

The apps are installed independently on each machine and their files are stored on iCloud. I take care in opening on only one machine at a time.

A conundrum!

os application open denied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.