Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Mac to printer

I need assistance connecting my MacAir to my Samsung printer; standard procedure does not work (i.e. going to Printers & scanners icon). Is there a number I can call?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 11:19 AM

Hi,

You could either use AirPrint or a driver from the printer manufacturer (Samsung/HP).

In case of AirPrint (if Ethernet or Wi-Fi), you would not have to install a driver. In order to add the printer, see Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support for the procedure (depending on the connection).

Are you using USB, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi?

It may be necessary to begin by resetting the printing system (Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790356#G11.5488394

If you wish to use a separate driver from HP, have a look at the link provided by mulberry58.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Gauche21

Hi,

You could either use AirPrint or a driver from the printer manufacturer (Samsung/HP).

In case of AirPrint (if Ethernet or Wi-Fi), you would not have to install a driver. In order to add the printer, see Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support for the procedure (depending on the connection).

Are you using USB, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi?

It may be necessary to begin by resetting the printing system (Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790356#G11.5488394

If you wish to use a separate driver from HP, have a look at the link provided by mulberry58.

Jan 2, 2021 6:11 PM in response to Gauche21

Hi,

The three printers Samsung Xpress M2880FW, M2885FW, and M2886HW are mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as models supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. Is your printer one of these? Otherwise, is there another full model number (with suffix) for your printer?

Are you using the macOS 10.14 Mojave indicated by your profile, or has a later upgrade (macOS Catalina or Big Sur) been installed?

An AirPrint printer can be used without separate drivers. Drivers/software from the printer manufacturer may or may not add functionality.

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Connecting Mac to printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.