Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printers and BigSur

I can connect my 2011 MacBook Pro (10.13.6) and therefore print using my HP OfficeJet Pro 8610.

I am entirely unable to do the same from my MacBookAir 2020 (11.2.3). Try as I might, it appears to be impossible to connect the printer and the computer. Both are on-line and on the same network.

I wish to know if this HP printer/scanner is incompatible with BigSur: yes/no!

HP is unable or unwilling to answer this question.

David Amies

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 11:46 AM

According to this Apple document that HP printer model is AirPrint compatible: About AirPrint - Apple Support. Therefore it can be access wirelessly and don't need drivers. Check it's manual to reconnect it wirelessly. You may have to reset the Printer System on the MBA: Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 11:46 AM in response to Maddox Rod

According to this Apple document that HP printer model is AirPrint compatible: About AirPrint - Apple Support. Therefore it can be access wirelessly and don't need drivers. Check it's manual to reconnect it wirelessly. You may have to reset the Printer System on the MBA: Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Apr 15, 2021 9:56 AM in response to Maddox Rod

Most times these problems occur because the printer's software is not compatible with the computer's operating system, in this case, Big Sur. I would do the following: (1) Thoroughly check the HP web site to see if compatible software is available. (2) Ask HP when and if compatible software will be released, or not. (3) Try using older software for Catalina. Sometimes that will work. (4) Download and install the scanner app VueScan and see if it works with your scanner. If so, there is a one time fee to purchase it. It is very well supported, is full featured and I can recommend it. I purchased it. I have no association with VueScan. Good luck, David.

Apr 15, 2021 11:23 AM in response to Ronasara

Thank you for your time. I already have VueScan. It works intermittently with the HP scanner/ printer. The HP website is like a spider's web, full of smarm and customer speak but little hard yes/no answers. Getting them to say whether and when they are going to update their software to achieve BigSur compatibility would be harder than getting permission to tour the private apartments in Buckingham Palace.

I had thought of trying older software and will give that a go.

Thanks again.

Merci beaucoup!

HP Printers and BigSur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.