Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch - Play songs by Artist

I've just added my huge music library to a new iPod Touch (6th Gen - iOS 12.5) after my old iPod Classic failed.

On the Classic, I could navigate to Genres or a specific artist and play all songs from that group. That's what I want to do.

I found that clicking on Genres or Artists on the Touch displayed a list of albums not a song list. After entering an album, only the songs on that album were played.

I've created Playlists for all the Genres that I have and that works. (Sadly, an extra step that wasn't necessary on the Classic) However, there are so many different Artists that it is impractical to create a playlist for every artist.

Is there an easy way to select all songs from one artist and play them? I can't find this option on the Touch or in the online manual.

Help!

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:41 AM

Joseph_S,

Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't able to follow your specific instructions since I didn't have any "Deleted" items. However, in attempting to follow your instructions, I believe that I have resolved my issue. It was really my oversight.

Here is an image of a selection of one of my Genres "Favs":

I now realize if I press "Play", the iPod will play all songs in that genre in order. If I press "Shuffle", it will play and shuffle all songs in that genre. That resolves my issue.

However, the display confused me. Within the "Genre/Favs" selection, I expected a listing of songs (similar to the old iPod Classic). Instead, it appears that the icons represent a listing of file folders for each album. I don't understand the purpose of this "folder" listing. What purpose does this serve? It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 7:41 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph_S,

Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't able to follow your specific instructions since I didn't have any "Deleted" items. However, in attempting to follow your instructions, I believe that I have resolved my issue. It was really my oversight.

Here is an image of a selection of one of my Genres "Favs":

I now realize if I press "Play", the iPod will play all songs in that genre in order. If I press "Shuffle", it will play and shuffle all songs in that genre. That resolves my issue.

However, the display confused me. Within the "Genre/Favs" selection, I expected a listing of songs (similar to the old iPod Classic). Instead, it appears that the icons represent a listing of file folders for each album. I don't understand the purpose of this "folder" listing. What purpose does this serve? It doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Jan 4, 2021 2:51 PM in response to dsscottage

Hi dsscottage,

Thanks for reaching out through Apple Support Communities for help playing all songs from a selected Genre or Artist category in Music on your iPod touch. We're glad to help in any way we can.

Let's head into Music, and then the My Music section. When browsing under the Recently Deleted items through Genres or Artists, are you able to play all music from a selection by tapping on the picture to the left of the Genre or Artist, and not on the name itself?

Have a great day!

iPod Touch - Play songs by Artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.