Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Files in iCloud Drive App Folders

Hi there! I’m facing an issue where the app folders for Numbers, Pages, Keynote and Shortcuts have been emptied within iCloud Drive . Other folders (both those created by non-Apple apps and those created by me) in iCloud Drive are unaffected. As I remember, the files included Pages, Numbers, Keynote, PDF and JPG files.

The files missing are not in the recently deleted folder. They also do not seem to be present in the recover files section on iCloud.com, however the recovery tool states there are exactly 5000 files available to recover. Perhaps there is a limit to how many files can be shown or are kept available to recover? I can’t recover the files to remove them from the recovery section as I get an error when I try. That’s just a theory on my part though.

The files do not appear “On This Device”, in any recently deleted folder, or on my iPhone, iPad, iCloud for Windows 10 app, Windows 10 recycling bin or on iCloud.com.

I noticed the files were missing a few days ago after I did a clean installation of Windows 10 on my PC, installed the iCloud for Windows 10 app, synced the iCloud files and copied approximately 40GB of files from Google Drive to iCloud Drive on Windows 10 and selected to skip files which were already present in iCloud Drive. I did this so I could stop using Google Drive and use iCloud Drive as my only cloud storage.

I have contacted Apple Support and they did some checks and told me to check through the 5000 files in the recovery section on iCloud.com for the missing files and contact them again if I didn’t find them. I will be getting back in touch with them tomorrow as they are not present in the recovery section.

Does anyone have an idea as to how this happened and or how I can recover my files? It’s certainly very strange and frustrating behaviour. Thanks for any help!

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:04 PM

Hi, so it turns out my theory on there being a display cap of 5000 on the file recovery tool was correct. I had to restore around 25,000 files and eventually restored the desired files in the process. Still no idea how they got deleted in the first place, though!

Similar questions

3 replies

Lost Files in iCloud Drive App Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.