Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 Mac mini keyboard Lagging

So I've had my new M1 16g Mac mini for about 3 weeks now. a few days ago I noticed that when typing (whether it be google, safari, an email ect. the typing response/lag is horrendous. a few seconds. then all of a sudden all the letters will come out of nowhere. i tried turning off the keyboard and mouse and turning them back on. I tried restarting, I ended up completely shutting the computer down for a few minutes then starting back up and it fixed the issue for what seemed to be 12hours ..... I'm super P*ssed. does anyone have similar issues with the new M1's? do i need to send this thing back?

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 4:51 PM

165 replies

Feb 6, 2021 8:09 AM in response to daryn1288

sorry for my english i'm french.

Hello everyone, I have had a mac m1 for around 1 month and I am disappointed. The last fix made things worse, my mac is slowing down. Typing on the keyboard is awfully slow since the patch. I have an imac and a macbook pro since 2012 and 2013 I am not disappointed but the mac mini m1 it disappointed! I specify I have the official keyboard and the official mouse. Little more if we do not restart the mac, after several days the icon pixelates enormously.

Jan 4, 2021 8:28 AM in response to daryn1288

I'm going on 3 weeks and I've started lagging a great deal (on hold waiting for support about it right now). I have 3 windows of Safari open, messages, and Fantastical calendar running on dual monitors (USB-C/HDMI). Cannot scroll the mouse across the screen without constant chopping. Two weeks ago I was shouting how fast this little thing was now I'm considering returning it if I can't get this figured out.

Mar 28, 2021 2:01 AM in response to Bavay.G

Update on my findings:

1. Shutting down the mac mini causes more lagging. It seems the system has to "wake up". After a short period, lagging seems to disappear now. I have no issues when I leave the system on (sleeping).
  2. I noticed recently that I had more lag when another bluetooth device (laptop) was in close range of my mac mini / mouse / keybord.

Feb 2, 2021 12:06 AM in response to TedHSauchie

Yeahh, yesterday while I was chatting with Support a new Release came out:

macOS Big Sur‌ 11.2 improves Bluetooth reliability and fixes the following issues:

- External displays may show a black screen when connected to a ‌Mac mini‌ (‌M1‌, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter

- Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save

- ‌iCloud Drive‌ could turn off after disabling the ‌iCloud Drive‌ Desktop & Documents Folders option

- System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password

- Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed

Let's all test it and report back, if it's still happening (I definitely had the Black Screen Problem, iCloud Drive and the Mouse stutters).

Feb 6, 2021 9:32 AM in response to pmstoll

I have the same issue. Latest update does not change the fact that after 12 hours their is a serious lag between pressing the keyboard and seeing the character appear on the screen. It is unacceptable and the only solution is to robot the computer which seems to indicate either a race condition or memory leak somewhere.

Feb 13, 2021 12:08 PM in response to daryn1288

This happened to me too, but have found a fix!

I have a new Mac Mini M1 mounted in a bracket behind my monitor. Everything had been working perfectly until.... I decided to clean up my cabling and get my desk organized.

I have an external SSD drive that I decided to put directly next to the Mac Mini, basically blocking a bit of the bottom of the mini and that's when bluetooth went all crazy - dropped my keyboard and mouse connections.

When I moved the external SSD away from the Mini, everything started working again...

Here's a picture of the drive/mini when bluetooth gets funky:

Perhaps some interference or bluetooth signal strength issues at play here?!?

I hope this helps someone!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Mar 1, 2021 10:08 AM in response to daryn1288

I've had my M1 Mac for about four weeks now. Magic Mouse and Apple bluetooth keyboard were working great until today. Magic Mouse is working fine. Keyboard latency slowed down to recognizing one keystroke about 2-3 seconds afterwards, and then stopped all together. I tried the shutting down the Mac and restarting, shutting down Bluetooth and restarting, forgetting the device and reconnecting, still nothing. So I am now using the Magic Mouse and a wired Dell Windows keyboard with no problems. I do have my trusty old wired mouse handy just in case... Really frustrated that Apple hasn't figured this out yet!

Mar 15, 2021 10:32 PM in response to daryn1288

Just got the mac mini a few days ago and already having this problem smh

My first time moving to a Mac thinking everything is going to be smoother, instead it lags all the time. My keyboard and mouse are connected via usb so its not a bluetooth issue. I don't understand how it can work effortlessly on a windows PC but its having these issues with a premium new M1 Mac Mini!

Mar 17, 2021 3:35 AM in response to colinfromorpington

update: https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/05/how-to-reset-bluetooth-on-macos-big-sur

So click Shift+Option in the bluetooth menu, then Reset Bluetooth Module. Once the kb reconnects everything is fine and fast again.

Apologies realise for Mac mini users maybe this is awkward. I have an M1 Mac Pro with this issue so can use the built in kb to hit reset.

Perhaps someone knows how to script this reset ? For the record, the following does NOT work on M1 but used to work on older Macs -- obviously its a different chip set !!

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

Mar 24, 2021 4:30 PM in response to daryn1288

I have exact issue. 16g M1 MacMini. Purchased about 4 weeks ago along with new keyboard, mouse etc. After a day or so of uptime, it lags very badly and I get a small white box above the typing that has both numbers and some non english characters. I have switched BT keyboards from my iMac and have same issue. Obviously the iMac does not have the problem. I've done as you have by turning the keyboard off and back on. Only temporary fix is a reboot. I'm at a loss but suspect someday there will be a system upgrade and magically, it will go away. The sooner the better. I have had many Macs and other than hardware failures, I have been extremely lucky and have had little or no "system" or app related issues. What makes this issue frustrating is the lag time between a reboot and the lagging returning. Makes troubleshooting very painful.

New M1 Mac mini keyboard Lagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.