Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revert to original Mac app icons

Hi, I was changing my app icons when one didn't show up correctly. Most people online say that you go to Finder < applications < the app < get info and then on the picture at the top you would press it and in comes the old app icon. Turns out that when I did it it erased the icon completely. Now all I have is the default app icon, a beige sheet thing with the original App Store logo in red. Anybody know how to fix this? I don't want to delete my profile and make another one again as I am not the only person who uses this MacBook. Thanks :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 6:03 AM

Try this command with sudo before: sudo xattr -d -r com.apple.FinderInfo /Applications/Safari.app/

After this command you need to write your PC password! Read more about sudo: Using the sudo command in Terminal requires an administrator password – Apple Support

https://youtu.be/myTydbO9V5M

9 replies

Jan 3, 2021 5:03 AM in response to sof513

Okay, do step by step:

1. Open terminal! Press Command(⌘)+Space > write: terminal.
  2. Find path to app or folder! For example, if it app path is /Applications/{app name}
  3. In terminal write: xattr -d -r com.apple.FinderInfo <Folder or app path>. For example, xattr -d -r com.apple.FinderInfo /Applications/Safari.app/
  4. Press Enter.

I really hope, that helps you!

Jan 3, 2021 4:28 AM in response to sof513

*It wouldn't say just press it, it would say to backspace it after pressing. I just wrote it wrong, I originally tried it backspacing it. I still have the problem.

Also I can't delete and reinstall the app as it was Safari. I do have chrome so does anybody know how to delete Safari and then reinstall it again?

Revert to original Mac app icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.