Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting recognition of external DVD/CD player to MacBook Pro

I've purchased a new MacBook Pro and needed an external DVD/CD player. As it's a plug and play, I did that but the computer does not recognize it even after restarting with the DVD plugged in and not plugged in. The result is still the same. No recognition. What can I do? Thanks for any guidance.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 10:16 AM

It will not appear as a Volume on the Finder Desktop unless/until it has a Mounted disc in it.

But It should show up as a device under:

 Menu > About this Mac > (System Report) > whatever_interface

2 replies

Jan 3, 2021 11:06 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi, Grant --- thanks for your assistance but that didn't work. The device powers on when connected to the computer, accepts the disc and sounds like it's actually playing for about 5 seconds. Then, it shuts down and nowhere on my computer is there any indication that it recognizes it. I've contacted the company as well, but I don't know if it's a defective unit or it's something with my Mac.

Thanks, Deb

Troubleshooting recognition of external DVD/CD player to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.