Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 3 Hard Reset Won't Complete

Dear All,

I am trying to follow the documentation If you’ve forgotten your Apple Watch passcode – Apple Support, however I am not able to reset my Apple Watch Series 3 as the reset process is not completing:

Once I started the reset process (the step by step process is slightly different for Apple Watch Series 3), Apple Watch's screen shows that is starting the process, however after 4-5 minutes it shows my former Apple Watch dashboard, where it asks for the pin code (that I don't remember).

I don't have access to my old iPhone either, so I don't have other ways to reset the Apple Watch as I am not able to access the device settings. From YouTube videos I watched, the procedure seems to be pretty straightforward, so I am starting to believe to have faced an annoying bug. Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmYVJBs_6t0

Do you have any clue about what it should be done to overcome this problem?

Thanks.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 6

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 6:31 AM

Try it this way;

Press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for about 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo.Wait a few seconds, then hold down just the side button for about 20 seconds or until the “erase all settings” prompt shows up on the screen, then click it, then click the green check button.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 6:31 AM in response to dadosnake

Try it this way;

Press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for about 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo.Wait a few seconds, then hold down just the side button for about 20 seconds or until the “erase all settings” prompt shows up on the screen, then click it, then click the green check button.

Jan 4, 2021 6:25 AM in response to dadosnake

Eventually, I found a workaround that gave me the opportunity to reset my Apple Watch, and I want to share more info in this post as it may help other people that are facing the same bug:

As manual hard reset won't work, the only solution that worked for me was pushing the Apple Watch to force an hard reset.

The only way to push the Apple Watch to force an hard reset is to fail to insert the pin code on purpose for too many times. As you may notice, after a certain number of login attempts the Apple Watch will ask you to wait for a number of minutes that will increase fail after fail.

My Apple Watch was forced to start an hard reset after failing a dozen of login attempts. For your information, your last login attempt should be after waiting for 60 minutes after the last pin code failure.

After failing to insert the right pin code for the last time, Apple Watch initiated the hard reset automatically, and it was finally possible for me to pair my Watch with my new iPhone.

I hope this information will help you.

Jan 4, 2021 6:41 AM in response to dadosnake

Congratulations on your patience and a most unusual solution,would you mind if I used your solution to advise anyone else in a similar situation as you.

Wonder if this would work on later watches too.

Jan 3, 2021 11:22 AM in response to dadosnake

To remove Activation lock and erase watch;

On a computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.

Go to Find Iphone.

Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.

Click Erase Apple Watch.

Select Next until the device is erased.

Click the remove button next to your Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Series 3 Hard Reset Won't Complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.