Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

addressbook (contacts app) iMac very slow …

for some time now I notice that the address book (contacts app) is very slow, after changing something.

just browsing without changing anything is fine.

this is very annoying since it shows all of my contacts (private and business and I have 5 iCloud-accounts active

I did find an article: https://appuals.com/fix-mac-running-slow-due-addressbooksourcesync/, and I tried to resolve the issue, but I did not manage to do this. possible I am doing it wrong.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 4:44 AM

the problem seems to be solved.

Wat did the trick?

I contacted Apple support and I got an extensive guiding through deductive analysis of the problem.

We found 2 separate problems, of which, in 1 case, it was probably a manual error on my account with setting in screen time on my iPhone: I use the to monitor the screen time of our youngest son. The latter appears totally obsolete, for these youngsters are wizards in circumventing these setting, so it seems - he always seems to have much more allowance …

Somehow I managed to mak an unwanted setting in my own screen time.

I found this out by trying to uncheck my addresses in my iCloud. It did not allow me, giving me the reason that I had this setting in screen time. removing it solved that.

The second thing, and advice from Apple was to re-install my system. Did that and now all seems to work fine.

thanks for all of your time.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 4:44 AM in response to judysings

the problem seems to be solved.

Wat did the trick?

I contacted Apple support and I got an extensive guiding through deductive analysis of the problem.

We found 2 separate problems, of which, in 1 case, it was probably a manual error on my account with setting in screen time on my iPhone: I use the to monitor the screen time of our youngest son. The latter appears totally obsolete, for these youngsters are wizards in circumventing these setting, so it seems - he always seems to have much more allowance …

Somehow I managed to mak an unwanted setting in my own screen time.

I found this out by trying to uncheck my addresses in my iCloud. It did not allow me, giving me the reason that I had this setting in screen time. removing it solved that.

The second thing, and advice from Apple was to re-install my system. Did that and now all seems to work fine.

thanks for all of your time.

Jan 5, 2021 6:04 PM in response to Jo!

Hello Jo! and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty with iCloud syncing in terms of impact on performance on your Mac.

First, note that the info in the article you cited is very old. It still references MobileMe which was shuttered years ago when it morphed into iCloud. Have you used Activity Monitor to make sure the sync process is what is consuming CPU cycles?

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Cheers.

Jan 7, 2021 3:26 PM in response to MichelleT18

MichelleT18 wrote:

Hello Jo! and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It appears you are having some difficulty with iCloud syncing in terms of impact on performance on your Mac.

First, note that the info in the article you cited is very old. It still references MobileMe which was shuttered years ago when it morphed into iCloud. Have you used Activity Monitor to make sure the sync process is what is consuming CPU cycles?

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Cheers.

thank you, yes I figured that much.

problem is how to solve it.

I did notice that the article is very old, but it was all I could find.

And yes, back in the days of mobile me (goodoldays) there were quite some issues, as I remember. One of the things that remained for me were my dotmac mail-addresses.

Seems so long ago.

yes sure, I used activitymonitor. And it does consume quite a bit of power. addressbooksourcesync. but only during editing / adding content

whilst it does that, the app freezes. funny thing is when I type during this freeze and it unfreezes the text appears from right to left. quite annoying.

Jan 8, 2021 2:19 PM in response to Jo!

Hi Jo!

This is, indeed, an issue that has been reported with some regularity for a number of years. Apple Support Communities power user, Linc Davis posted a set of instructions that a number of users have reported as being effective.

1) Back up all data.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

2) At System Preferences > Internet Accounts > iCloud, deselect the checkbox for Contacts.

3) Open the Contacts app. From the list of groups on the left side of the Contacts window, select All Contacts. From the menu bar, select File > Export > Export vCard. Save the exported contacts to the Desktop, then quit Contacts.

4) Triple-click the text on the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

5) In the Finder, select Go > Go to Folder. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), and press return. A Finder window will open with a folder selected. Move the selected folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open for now.

6) Launch Contacts. Your contacts will be gone. From the menu bar, select

File > Import and import from the file you exported above. Your contacts will reappear.

7) Re-enable Contacts in the iCloud preference pane and test. If the issue is resolved, delete the AddressBook folder and the vCard file on the Desktop and close the open folder window.

Cheers.

Jan 9, 2021 12:16 PM in response to jdo_apple

jdo_apple wrote:

Hi Jo!

This is, indeed, an issue that has been reported with some regularity for a number of years. Apple Support Communities power user, Linc Davis posted a set of instructions that a number of users have reported as being effective.

1) Back up all data.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

2) At System Preferences > Internet Accounts > iCloud, deselect the checkbox for Contacts.

Hi there,

thank you for the above.

trying to uncheck the contacts gives no result: it doesn't want to be unchecked!

this is not only for my main iCloud, but for all of them

Jan 12, 2021 12:35 PM in response to Jo!

Hi Jo!.

This may be an account related issue that will require working directly with Apple Support.

Contact Apple for support and service

One additional step you can take would be to set up a fresh user account on the Mac for testing Se if you can sign in and out of iCloud services when signed in to a new account.

You can find the steps to add a user here:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers.

Jan 9, 2021 12:22 PM in response to jdo_apple

when I analyse this correctly:

being disconnected from iCloud, would be the solution.

the above method allows for only disconnecting contacts.

Since this is not working, I may have to disconnect iCloud completely. This probably results in erasing all the content from the Mac. this should be fine, since all data is in the cloud.

Doing the trick with erasing

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

import the contacts and then re-connecting, will reload all services from the cloud??

… or does this operation need more?

Jan 10, 2021 5:59 PM in response to Jo!

Hi Jo!.

If you're not able to de-select only the Contacts option, then signing out, rebooting and then signing back in is the next logical step.

When you do so, you will be presented with options for retaining iCloud data on the Mac as a failsafe. As the sign out part of the equation is not going to be for an extended period, you are likely better off not invoking those options.

Cheers.

Jan 11, 2021 3:57 PM in response to bailier

tried that. It simply will not allow me to sign out: the contacts remains checked. I cannot uncheck.

bailier wrote:

Hi Jo!.

If you're not able to de-select only the Contacts option, then signing out, rebooting and then signing back in is the next logical step.

When you do so, you will be presented with options for retaining iCloud data on the Mac as a failsafe. As the sign out part of the equation is not going to be for an extended period, you are likely better off not invoking those options.

Cheers.

addressbook (contacts app) iMac very slow …

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.