Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Brother Scanners run with Big Sur?

I am trying to get my Brother ADS-2100e scanner to work under macOS Big Sur. But so far without success...

I have installed the latest TWAIN driver (2.5.2.0) from Brother. When I use the included app "Device Selector", I see the scanner.

But I can't see the scanner in "System Preferences" => "Printers & Scanners".

Is it even possible to run this scanner with Big Sur? According to Brother support, it should be possible. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Regards,

Reto

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 2:58 PM

The last Image Capture (ICA) scanner driver that Brother posted for this device is in Oct 2020. They could not have tested this will macOS Big Sur (11.0 or later) as the release date was in November. So, if you have installed the version3.3.0 ICA driver and it doesn't work as expected, either Brother will eventually update that ICA driver or you will need to consider trialing and/or purchasing VueScan Professional which drives the ADS-2100e without any Brother software or drivers necessary.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 2:58 PM in response to RetLeu79

The last Image Capture (ICA) scanner driver that Brother posted for this device is in Oct 2020. They could not have tested this will macOS Big Sur (11.0 or later) as the release date was in November. So, if you have installed the version3.3.0 ICA driver and it doesn't work as expected, either Brother will eventually update that ICA driver or you will need to consider trialing and/or purchasing VueScan Professional which drives the ADS-2100e without any Brother software or drivers necessary.

Jan 26, 2021 2:56 PM in response to RetLeu79

Correction: you can get a driver for Big Sur at the UK Brother site: Downloads & Drivers for ADS-2100e

If that doesn't work, VueScan does support your model. There's a a demo version available to try before you purchase. I've been using it for several years with my scanners and find it to be more powerful than the software that came with my scanners.

Jan 26, 2021 2:39 PM in response to RetLeu79

It works to some extent if you select macOS 10.14 then 'Scanner Driver'. After installing you can see the scanner in 'Printers & Scanners' then click 'Open Scanner..' A basic scanner app opens. You can scan to PDF etc but each page is saved as a separate file. I'm now on the lookout for some better scanner software that might work with it i.e. able to scan multiple pages into a single document and searchable PDFs etc.

Do Brother Scanners run with Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.