Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older 27 Inch IMAC

I have a great older Mid 2010 IMAC 27inch. Monitor 4k works beautiful no problems, no problems with computer either, except this model is no longer supported!! I would just like to purchase the Mac Mini, and use my older computer just as a monitor. It has a Firewire port and Mini displayPort, can I use one of these ports as input from the new Mac Mini ?? I would really like to keep my 27 inch, since its really almost like new, from really taking care of it, and not using that much. If so, anyone have instructions on how to do this, what cables I will need ,etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks be Safe

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:00 PM

I assume you are talking about getting the M1 Mini that just released in 2020 ?

Make sure download the PDF attachment in the MacRumors message thread.

I would use number 1a (USB-C to Mini Display Port cable) - it's a lot simpler than going to number 2 or 3 which is more difficult and expensive.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 1:00 PM in response to picksme

I assume you are talking about getting the M1 Mini that just released in 2020 ?

Make sure download the PDF attachment in the MacRumors message thread.

I would use number 1a (USB-C to Mini Display Port cable) - it's a lot simpler than going to number 2 or 3 which is more difficult and expensive.

Jan 4, 2021 8:55 AM in response to picksme

Yes, it is possible to use a non Thunderbolt, mini Display port iMac with the M1.

Here's the link I used to get that to work on pre 2010 iMacs:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-integrate-m1-mac-mini-with-target-display-mode-thunderbolt-displays-up-to-3-displays.2274691/

Unfortunately, the newer iMacs with Thunderbolt ports will not work as target display mode with the M1.

I have the M1 Mini myself and use the 2011 27" Apple Thunderbolt display and looks super sharp along with an extended 4K 32" display.

Jan 4, 2021 10:10 AM in response to RUSD tech

Hey, thanks, so your saying in my situation on the example, I would use item #3, Mini Display Port, with all those different connectors Shown?? Are all the connections cables shown, are the names I will look for on Amazon to buy?? Or you have exact names for each one I need?? On the one that shows USB power, that has to be plugged into an outside USB Plug?? Also when I do this, this just makes my Monitor go from the current screen to the Mini screen is that correct. So what happens when I turn on and off, is this simple ,because I would like to transfer all my information from the 27 to the Mac mini. Is this complicated?

I am sorry to be so dumb on this, I am 77 years of age, and just know the basics. Thanks

Jan 21, 2021 6:28 PM in response to picksme

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac with Thunderbolt 1 ports/minidisplay port. I can't enable target display mode with my M1 MacMini. I'm using all Apple cables

Mac mini->USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor->Thunderbolt cable->iMac

What gives? Disappointed if this isn't compatible as all documentation I've seen says it is supported. I'll be sending it right back.

Jan 25, 2021 6:49 AM in response to hcsitas

Hi ,again, I have attached your cables ,etc, as shown. I have been able to get into the Mini 2 times since it arrive several weeks ago. When I am in my older 27 computer, and click command F2, it will not change over to the new MINI?? It did it several times, and thats it. I guess with the Bluetooth problem their having, it just not sending the correct signal!! Right now I am using my older IMAC, so thats where I click on Command+F2 and it does nothing. Would this be a problem with the IMAC not changing the screen?? Connected just like your recommend and cable!! Couple times I did get into the MINI, it would not recognize the keyboard or mouse. It did couple time and that was all. Its been over 3 weeks.,since I have had MINI and not working properly.

Jan 26, 2021 6:12 AM in response to kjma1

Yes, that is what I am using for the cable. But it still does not work properly, when I am into my regular 27 IMAC, and hit the Command Key + F2 key, most time ,will not go into the Mini, has a few times. Also when it does, go into the MINI, it will not

connect the keyboard or mouse, sometimes it will just the mouse, but the keyboard will not work.

So I guess this is all related to the MINI haveing Bluetooth problems, which suppose to be updated and fixed. I do not know when, have not been able to enjoy my mini since I bought it.

Older 27 Inch IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.