Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Ipads made my iMessage not work on my MacBook Air

Hey- I bought 2 new ipads for my kids for Christmas. They are only 4, so they do not have their own email addresses. I used my Apple ID to set up both devices. I turned off iMessage on both of their ipads, since they kept receiving all my text messages.

This resulted in my MacBook Air now not being able to use iMessage. How can I fix this issue?

HELP!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 10:58 PM

They actually need their own Apple IDs.

Here's the relevant quote from Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support:

"Make sure each family member has their own Apple ID

"To participate in Family Sharing, all family members must have their own Apple ID. Children under 13* can't create an Apple ID on their own. However, the family organizer can create an Apple ID on their child's behalf. 

"If your child already has an Apple ID, you can add it to your family group and update their email address, date of birthsecurity questions, and more. If your child does not yet have an Apple ID, use the steps below to create one. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 10:58 PM in response to Kristi_Hull

They actually need their own Apple IDs.

Here's the relevant quote from Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support:

"Make sure each family member has their own Apple ID

"To participate in Family Sharing, all family members must have their own Apple ID. Children under 13* can't create an Apple ID on their own. However, the family organizer can create an Apple ID on their child's behalf. 

"If your child already has an Apple ID, you can add it to your family group and update their email address, date of birthsecurity questions, and more. If your child does not yet have an Apple ID, use the steps below to create one. 

New Ipads made my iMessage not work on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.