Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proxy issues

Hi guys I have an MacBook Pro, I haven’t used in a few months. I want to play sims 4 which I have downloaded as I have used prior before. However in the proxy settings it says SOCKS PROXY. I was informed to disable this and it works for a few months and then it Automatically joins again and everything pauses again till I go to settings and do the process again. Can anyone help? I don’t seem to be able to use origin without disabling it.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:17 PM

Is your computer provided by your employer? Is it connected to a corporate network? or a school network?

Typically these are the kinds of networks that have access controls restricting who can connect to the network, and what they can do when they're connected.

Sometimes they install software on each computer in order to validate the device's identity, push out configuration/policy changes and, potentially, lock the device should it be lost or stolen.

This doesn't apply if you just bought the device yourself and are running on your own network, but I've never heard of any device automatically turning on SOCKS by itself.

My note was basically saying that if your device is considered part of a managed network (company/school/etc.), then you need to find out who manages the network and talk to them - typically start with IT support or Helpdesk.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 1:17 PM in response to ellice193

Is your computer provided by your employer? Is it connected to a corporate network? or a school network?

Typically these are the kinds of networks that have access controls restricting who can connect to the network, and what they can do when they're connected.

Sometimes they install software on each computer in order to validate the device's identity, push out configuration/policy changes and, potentially, lock the device should it be lost or stolen.

This doesn't apply if you just bought the device yourself and are running on your own network, but I've never heard of any device automatically turning on SOCKS by itself.

My note was basically saying that if your device is considered part of a managed network (company/school/etc.), then you need to find out who manages the network and talk to them - typically start with IT support or Helpdesk.

Jan 4, 2021 12:47 PM in response to ellice193

Few people use SOCKS proxies. I'd hazard a guess that 99% of people don't even know what a SOCKS proxy is, and that 99% of the remaining 1% never use one.

It's certainly not the default in Mac OS. If you're manually turning it off and then it automagically re-enables itself, then my first guess is that your system is part of some managed network/domain and that there is a policy in place to enforce the use of a proxy for some reason known only to the administrator.

You *might* be able to bypass the proxy by adding the address(es) of the system(s) you're trying to connect to in System Preferences -> Network -> <interface> -> Proxies -> Bypass proxy settings for:

However, if on a managed device, this field might not be available to you (or it may be overridden in the same way the SOCKS setting is.

If that's the case you may need to contact the administrator of the network to get them to unlock/unblock the network.

Proxy issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.