Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch series 6 gps if I only use Bluetooth will all functions still work with WiFi off?

Apple Watch series 6 gps

if I only use Bluetooth will all functions including text messages and calls still work with WiFi off?

Would be handy to know what apps communicate with Bluetooth to iPhone and what apps communicate with WiFi to iPhone?

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 3:18 PM

If the iPhone is nearby.

HOWEVER, software updates to watchOS Require WiFi be enabled and both the iPhone and Apple Watch be on the same WiFi.

But otherwise, for normal operation, you just need to be in Bluetooth range of the iPhone to get full functionality.

If you are not in Bluetooth range, the Apple Watch will still capture fitness data and tell you the time, but anything that requires the internet will have to wait until you either turn WiFi back on (assuming the Apple Watch can connect to a WiFi access point), or you are back in range of your iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 3:18 PM in response to Tazmanianndevil

If the iPhone is nearby.

HOWEVER, software updates to watchOS Require WiFi be enabled and both the iPhone and Apple Watch be on the same WiFi.

But otherwise, for normal operation, you just need to be in Bluetooth range of the iPhone to get full functionality.

If you are not in Bluetooth range, the Apple Watch will still capture fitness data and tell you the time, but anything that requires the internet will have to wait until you either turn WiFi back on (assuming the Apple Watch can connect to a WiFi access point), or you are back in range of your iPhone.

Apple Watch series 6 gps if I only use Bluetooth will all functions still work with WiFi off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.