Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac won't update to 11.1 - it keeps telling me the download didn't work

My Mac attempts to update Big Sur to v. 11.1 for the last week or so, but I constantly receive messages that the download failed. Is there a problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 8:02 AM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2021 11:55 AM in response to glovehawk

Hello glovehawk, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! From your message we understand that you're having an issue downloading and installing the new macOS Big Sur. 

Begin by through the following troubleshooting steps on your Mac: 

1 - If possible try downloading from a different network.

2 - Disconnect any peripherals that you have connected to your Mac at this time. This includes any external hard drives, audio devices, or printers, etc. 

3 - Restart your Mac: Go to the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen > Restart. 

4 - Try reinstalling the update. 

5 - If you're seeing the same results, restart in safe mode and test again: How to use safe mode on your Mac

6 - If still occurring in safe mode you’ll need to create a new user, sign into that new user with your information, and test it out again. This article will show you how: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

All the best.

Jan 7, 2021 2:39 PM in response to KMB_12

Kareng 12 - Thanks for your info. Let me re-phrase my problem. I have been using Big Sur v. 11.0.1 for a few weeks now with no problems at all. However, this week I received a notification that my iMac would automatically upgrade the OS at night with v. 11.1. The next morning there was a message that the download failed. I manually attempted the upgrade by clicking ABOUT THIS MAC...SOFTWARE UPDATE. I received the same message again as well as every morning after my Mac attempted the automatic update during the night. I followed your instructions but had no luck updating. I have had no problems updating any other apps or downloading/uploading to YouTube for example. I will probably just ignore this update until a newer version becomes available. Thanks!

My Mac won't update to 11.1 - it keeps telling me the download didn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.