Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone doesn't stay connected to WiFi

For some reason I need to manually reconnect my phone to WiFi whenever I wake it from sleep. This is really annoying as it means I miss out on a lot of notifications. This only started happening after the last software update, I think it was 14.3.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 11:21 AM

Hi there beep360,

We understand the importance of keeping your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi to receive notifications. We'll be glad to help you.

Please try the steps below. Test the Wi-Fi connection after each step.

1. Disable Bluetooth under Settings.
  2. Disable LTE in Settings > Cellular.
  3. Try resetting the network settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before. Make sure you have your Wi-Fi network password handy before completing this step. Once this completes, test to see if the issues are resolved.
  4. Restart all your Wi-Fi networking equipment including the router, and modem.
  5. Make sure there isn't any interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

We hope these steps are helpful. Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 11:21 AM in response to beep360

Hi there beep360,

We understand the importance of keeping your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi to receive notifications. We'll be glad to help you.

Please try the steps below. Test the Wi-Fi connection after each step.

1. Disable Bluetooth under Settings.
  2. Disable LTE in Settings > Cellular.
  3. Try resetting the network settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before. Make sure you have your Wi-Fi network password handy before completing this step. Once this completes, test to see if the issues are resolved.
  4. Restart all your Wi-Fi networking equipment including the router, and modem.
  5. Make sure there isn't any interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

We hope these steps are helpful. Take care.

Jan 8, 2021 2:26 PM in response to beep360

I resolved the problem. The WiFi network I was connecting to has MAC address filtering turned on. iOS 14 added the private (MAC) address feature. Somehow the phone was still allowed to connect when I manually connected to WiFi in settings (maybe it was passing the real address after the private one failed?), but in sleep or when auto connecting, it would not.

I deleted my iPhone's real MAC address and added the private one to the MAC address filtering, and now everything works properly.

iPhone doesn't stay connected to WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.