Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup platform

I have a MacBook Pro as my primary computer and a HP Windows 10 computer for several Windows only applications I use and to serve as a back-up. I also have a My Passport for Mac External hard drive that I back up my MacBook files onto (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, photos, etc.) Well, my MacBook screen failed yesterday, I can't get a Genius Bar appointment until Saturday evening and I suspect they will have to send my MacBook off for a week or two to be repaired. I cannot access the files on the My Passport from the HP (for obvious reasons "...for Mac")

My question is, does anyone have a backup platform you would recommend that I can backup files on my Mac and access them on the HP? I'm not familiar with CCC but looking into it, my understanding is CCC backs-up the entire system snd it is designed for Mac, which I expect would not give me access to the user files when I need to access them from the Windows machine.

Thanks, Terry

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 8:40 PM

Carbon Copy Cloner can copy select files from one location to another location (at least I believe it can although I have never done this). CCC has a trial period so experiment with the app.

Maybe you should consider a networked storage solution (NAS) where you store your files on a network share. Keep in mind that you will need to figure out a backup solution for the NAS. The Synology NAS has a good reputation with a lot of different options. I believe it also allows you to backup your Mac using Time Machine. Again, just make sure that you also have a backup of your shared NAS data.

In the mean time you can connect an external display to your Mac until you can get it repaired.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 8:40 PM in response to K1PHD

Carbon Copy Cloner can copy select files from one location to another location (at least I believe it can although I have never done this). CCC has a trial period so experiment with the app.

Maybe you should consider a networked storage solution (NAS) where you store your files on a network share. Keep in mind that you will need to figure out a backup solution for the NAS. The Synology NAS has a good reputation with a lot of different options. I believe it also allows you to backup your Mac using Time Machine. Again, just make sure that you also have a backup of your shared NAS data.

In the mean time you can connect an external display to your Mac until you can get it repaired.

Jan 7, 2021 5:34 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't looked as Networked storage solutions in a while, what I remember is they seemed relatively expensive for a home solution. I do have iCloud, which, as I expect you know, provides a "cloud" solution for some storage. (In my very dated experience cloud means a DASD farm somewhere.) And, I do have a few critical documents stored in iCloud's cloud. I still trust the good old isolated from the Internet, put my hands on it back up that I can safely store "off-site"

I will look more closely at CCC, however, what I remember is that it is a Mac solution, so I would want to verify it will provide a cross platform solution.

My challenge with connecting an external display is the only external displays I have are TVs. My MacBook Pro has Apple Thunderbolt connectors exclusively, and I need to connect the TV using an HDMI cable. I don't have a HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter. I checked online; there is no place close to me that carries the adapter. I can order one to be delivered in three to seven days, by which time I will be in the Apple Store at the Genius Bar and either not need the cable or have a new computer . . .

Jan 7, 2021 8:47 AM in response to K1PHD

A NAS solution may be a bit more expensive, but it allows you to centrally store your data so that it is accessible by all your other computers regardless of their OS without having to deal with moving an external drive around. Synology I believe has some smaller two drive NAS solutions. Keep in mind you could have your Time Machine backup stored on the Synology too. You just need to make sure that if the data you are sharing between macOS & Windows is unique, then you need to make sure to have a backup of this data somewhere else besides on the NAS.

You can also use an external USB drive partitioned as GUID and formatted as exFAT to share the data between systems (do this on the Mac using Disk Utility since macOS cannot always read a Windows formatted exFAT drive). You can use VeraCrypt to encrypt the whole drive.

Backup platform

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.