Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple USB-C to Lightning cable connect accessories to iPad?

Can the Apple USB-C to Lightning cable be used to directly connect other accessories (like a keyboard with USB-C port) to use on the iPad Pro, or do I need to buy an adapter? I have a non-Apple keyboard that I prefer to use, but have no way of connecting it to my Apple devices.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 1:33 PM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2021 2:25 AM in response to thekitkatbear

If purchasing the Apple Lightning to USB adapter, be aware that there are two models.

The newer model, that you will need, has both a USB3.0 Type-A connection and a pass-through Lightning port - with which to power both the iPad and attached USB device from your Power Adapter:

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

Don’t be tempted by the older (inferior/cheaper/lower spec’) adapter that has only a USB Port. The cheaper adapter is false economy; it cannot provide adequate power for the majority of connected USB devices and causes more issues than it will resolve. For avoidance of any confusion, I have intentionally not provided details of the cheaper adapter.

Jan 6, 2021 4:03 PM in response to thekitkatbear

No - you cannot use a basic USB-C to Lightning cable to directly connect USB accessories to a Lightning equipped iPad. USB accessories with USB Type-B connections require connection to a host with a USB Controller / USB Root Hub.

However, the required USB hardware components can be added through connection of an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. This adapter contains an Interface converter, USB 3.0 Controller and USB Root Hub - presenting a USB 3.0 Type-A connection to which you may connect many (but not all) categories of USB devices. USB Device support by iPad is generally limited to Mass Storage and basis HID devices (such as wired Keyboard and basic Mouse).

Whilst connection of wired HID devices is supported via a suitable adapter, most users would instead choose to use a Bluetooth Keyboard and/or Mouse. Apple provides advanced support, beyond basic functionality, for the Apple Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2.

Can Apple USB-C to Lightning cable connect accessories to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.