Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Both My Apple TV's Need Daily Restarts

I still have the 4th Gen Apple TV(1080) boxes and all has been fine up with the occasional restart(through menus) due to occasional glitches but recently (past 30ish days) I have needed to restart both boxes in 2 separate rooms on a daily basis. Before I restart the unit it turns on and responds normal however when you try to stream a show or movie it will kick you out of the app and return you to the Home Screen, same problem on both TVs daily. Does anyone have any advice, other than reset? I check daily for a update to hopefully fix the glitch, is anyone else having this issue? I am holding out for a hopeful 2021 release instead of paying close to $200 for old tech.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 11:44 PM

update: so I did a factory reset with updates. It took awhile but when it did the remote needed re-pair with it(i used universal remote to dave time) it was easy, but I logged in with my appleID and it restored all my apps & settings. They work great now!

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 9, 2021 10:52 AM in response to Gogypsy

Hello Gogypsy,

We understand you've been running into an issue on your Apple TV where apps close out unexpectedly and return you to the home screen. You’re in the right place, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Is this happening with the TV app?

Check to see if the steps here help: If you can't stream or watch movies or TV shows from the Apple TV app, iTunes Store, or third-party apps

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Jan 9, 2021 11:05 AM in response to MoonJ.

Yes, it happens with every app, it is not immediate but if you try to watch something it it will kick you out of whatever you selected(it will either play a few seconds or just kick out) out and go back to the Home Screen of the AppleTV, not the TV app, FYI I am running tvOS14.3, this happens with both units everyday.

Jan 11, 2021 5:33 PM in response to SnickZ.

Thank you. FYI- I did power cycled my router & modem and am still having the same issue(next day open any app, including apple+ and it glitches grey screen, black, then back to the Home Screen) so I again restart the appletv and no problem, my second to the last resort will be to factory reset one of them and see if maybe it's just has some kind of cache of sorts that needs clearing. I realize they are not the 4k units but I know the second after I buy a soon to be outdated 4K($180) they will announce the the 2021 release :-(

Both My Apple TV's Need Daily Restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.